1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Fallschirmjager winter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by andyevans, Mar 31, 2010.

1. andyevans New Member

United-States
    First post folks, so please be gentle, although I would like to know what you think. Only been painting in acrylics for a year or so and still trying to get to grips with the medium.

Figure is Dragon 1/35th

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice!

Whites are always difficult to get looking good..

And welcome to the Planet :)

Mark
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Andy,
    He looks pretty cool to me, especially your rendition of the winter whites & the weathering on the helmet. Like the metalwork on the rifle too. Only one tiny criticism, the lack of a chinstrap. Overall though, a super job & thanks for sharing - hope you'll post again soon.
    Cheers,
    Chris(y)
  4. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very Nice

It looks as though you have come a long way with the acrylics. As stated earlier the whites are very hard to do. The flesh tone is good but I might suggest more contrasts between shadows and highlights other than that, superb stuff.
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    The shading is the best I've seen. This works especially well for a simplistic figure like this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I think that you've done a grand job, like the white washed helmet.
    Carl.
  7. el cid New Member

Canada
    Nice job! Very subtle shading and highlighting, & clean brushwork. The whites are well handled! You may wish (perhaps on your next figure subject) to use stronger contrasts when working in 1/35th but this is also a matter of choice. Perhaps try experimenting with a light source above the figure to experiment with creating a light source using shadows and highlights onto the figure.
    There are a few books on the subject -here are a few I pull from often...Euro Modelismo Painting Overhead Lighting Acrylics volumes I and II, Painting Miniatures by Danilo Cartacci (what an awesome book overall!), and of course Shep's Book on painting figures handles the light source subject in detail (still a great go to book overall).
    Mike Blank also has a great book on Black and White color subjects that uses a mixed media approach (Mike uses Acrylic, Enamels, and Oils, sometimes even on the same figure).
    Overall, well done and welcome! Looking forward to seeing more!
  8. andyevans New Member

United-States
    Thankyou for all the good comments, I wasn't sure what to expect !

I can't believe that I forgot that chinstrap, doh ! That will teach me to rush at the end to get it finished. I'll remember next time.

I take your points on the contrast and will look out for those books mentioned. More practice required then.

I will be posting another figure soon to see what you guys think, but in the meantime, thanks for all the positive feedback !

Andy
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice job Andy on this little dragon fellow, your painting with the acrylics looks very good and you have created a nice looking figure.

Welcome to the planet mate.

Steve(y)