1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fallschirmjager Monte Cassino

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Djoubri M, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    sam b, Steve, gordy and 3 others like this.
  2. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    if i would be an figure it would be an pleasure to be painted by you.
    that is HOT STUFF..................great brushwork
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    outstanding face!
  4. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Many tanks Markus and Mike !
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great face, great helmet waiting for the rest.
    Carl.
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of this is the photos Mahmoud, but it looks like there are near-white highlights and dark-grey shadows on the face, which is a heck of a lot of contrast for this scale.

It's especially jarring since the helmet is immediately adjacent to the face but it's shaded much more subtly, so they don't seem to tie together.

One of the things to strive for when painting anything is to try to keep the overall impression of whatever the basic colour is, so that at a distance it still 'reads' as that colour - you've done this on the helmet, where the shadowed sides and the top and rim are different but still seem related.

Einion
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very valid points, Einion (even though the poster didn't request critique ;) )

Mahmoud, are you going for a atmospheric style in your painting, with a forced lighting effect ? The worn,scratched paint effect on the helmet is nicely done (y)
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that was a requirement. So constructive criticism only for threads with the WIP Critique or Completed Critique prefixes?

Einion
    gordy and JasonB like this.
  9. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Hello,
    After reading (hope correctly because of my poor english) , I will answer the following things:

Einion, about the face, I deliberately pushed the contrast to see what it gives ( extremes light skin tone with flesh light and extremes shadows with violet black)

Regarding the fact that the face and the helmet does not harmonize I let everyone have his own opinion.

Gordy, The figure has a dark side to give the idea of a soldier out of the smoke after a bombing :
    then, yes for the atmosphéric result.

About criticism no worries for receiving ( not the first time for me) but we must also accept that we respond to criticism

Me too, I didn't know about the different threads.

it's with a spirit of friendship that I answer and I keep in mind that this is only hobby!

Mahmoud
    Tarok and gordy like this.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Nice painting Mahmoud.
    Will he be wearing splinter camo? If yes, I look forward to your treatment. If not, I also look forward to your treatment.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Hi Ferris,
    next step...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Mahmoud
    sam b and pinsel like this.
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mahmoud, nice use of forced lighting and shadows :)
  13. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    one of the best splinterpattern i did see untill today.i know how hard this is to paint.
    really impressive painting
    cheers
  14. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The splinter is getting amazing Mahmoud(y)
  15. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice !!!