1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Falklands Special Boat Squadron, Imperial Gallery 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

My apologies for the long delay in posting any pics of my work lately.:whistle: Here is the first SBS.:notworthy:

This shows the basic camoflague pattern of the British DPM. I still need to do more highlighting and shading.

Long way to go, but I know it will come together in the end.(y)

Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

2. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Nice convertion and nice paint!

Cheers
    Alexandros(y)
  3. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Great Work Tony ,

Even Though I wore Brit DPM for years , i used your methods as inspiration for my 3 para figure (have now got larger pics in the thread and in the showcase)

I love your painting style

Will follow as always with interest

Best Regards

Chris(y)
  4. Don Well-Known Member

Looking very good indeed Tony. You have done an excellent job on the DPM. Will be watching to see how you finish and how the weathering goes.

Don
  5. Trep Active Member

United-States
    great painting of the uniforn, looks spot on, good work.
  6. combatartist Active Member

United-States
    Inspirational. I thought painting larger scales would be easier...not true, at least for me. Your job is terrific Tony.
  7. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    all boxes ticked with the subject matter matey!!
    For a long time I hummd and aard about buying one of these,your going to make me wish I had now,are'nt you!
    Looking good,like the DPM(y)
    Best Regards
    Paul
  8. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,Great figure.I like what you have done here mate(y)
    I have sent your link to a friend over here in NZ who is very much into this period,I know he will be very interested in what you have done.

Regards,John
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Have you changed the head Tony, only on the box he's got an :eek: hat ECW on?
    I always enjoy your DPM,
    Carl.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys, greatly appreciated.

Carl, I chose to grind off the ECW hat and sculpt a beanie instead. I thought it would look a bit different.(y)

These photos show the effect of adding a series of dark washes over the belt kit and the uniform.

Attached Files:

11. dinovision79 Active Member

Great to see this figure Tony! Great pick, as usual, Imperial Gallery's Falkland figures are all nice and are unfortunately among the few choices from the conflict, enjoy to see one painted every time.
    I too like the camo, very realistic!
    Staying tuned for more..o_O
  12. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    GOOD Tony - 1 of my favourite subject periods, very good DPM heavy combats,keep us up to speed.:p
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done, Tony! (y)

All the best,
    Dan
  14. meizi Active Member

China
    Another great piece Tony! Well done.(y)
  15. khorgor Member

Australia
    Welcome back Tony
    Hope all us well
    Love the camo. Very intricate for the model scale!
  16. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paintjob, Tony, love the camo!
    Cheers,
    Eddy
  17. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great camo Tony, will be following .(y)

Cheers Ken
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your comments and sorry for not responding sooner.:notworthy: I was away on business all week, and have only just had a chance to paint and take some pics.:)

I've been working on light and shadow harmony.;)

I welcome any comments.(y)

Attached Files:

19. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Tony Great work mate, good to see to you have incorporated a slight change of tone between smock and trousers, they never matched and it is possible that this guy was wearing the jungle (or lightweight) DPM trousers. Look forward to seeing more of this chap.
    Regards
    Dennis
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Dennis, and thanks for noticing the slight variation on tone between trousers and jacket - I had hoped it wasn't too subtle.

I'm very slowly doing what I call "focussing" the painting, which means I'm gradually bring all the various elements of this figure into focus.:sneaky: A bit like a camera that can be adjusted from a slightly fuzzy image to a really sharp focus, I'm trying to bring all the various elements together into sharp focus, while leaving other areas slightly fuzzy. The trick is to get the right combination of sharp and fuzzy.:whistle:

I've just base coated the bergen back pack, and will work on shading and highlighting during the week.(y)