1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Facial slope

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Mar 8, 2004.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    All too often, in their aim to achieve a likeness, sculptors tend to concentrate on small details like folds and wrinkles, shape of the nose, fullness of the lips, etc...

And yet the key to the likeness of a face lies mostly in its foundation: the skull and the lower jaw bone! It's so obvious that many of us don't see it (kind of concentrating too much on the trees and missing the forest).

The key feature of the facial bones is the 'facial slope'. It's the angle formed by the eyebrow and the tip of the chin relative to the upper teeth. It's the facial slope which makes an Indian looks like an Indian, an Asian looks like an Asian,etc... MUCH MORE than the shape of the eyes or the flareness (?) of a nostril.

To determine the facial slope, start with an horizontal line ( A ) just under the nose (upper teeth). Then join this point the eye brow ( B ). Another line to the tip of the chin ( C ). Compare the BC line with A on the two pictures and you see clearly what's need to be corrected.

In short, I displaced the whole lower jaw and at the same time redefined the jaw line under the ear making it more vertical. The ear needed to be moved to the front and a great chunk of the back of the skull and the neck removed as well.

I'll leave the talking to the pics. :lol:

Quang

Attached Files:

2. Aeronaudts New Member

Belgium
    It is true that one always do not think of seeing what is obvious.

Thank you Quang for this precision.

This sculpture is in Super sculpey ?
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
  4. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

Yet another observational and instructional masterpiece! Your keen eye is once again very enlightening indeed! What impresses me even more though is the time and effort you take to share them with us. Thank you again for helping me get one step closer to being a better sculptor. (y)

Time for reconstructive surgery... ;)

-jim cox
  5. fsdesimone Member

Nicely articulated. Thanks for taking the time to give an explanation and photos.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Another great insight into what tools are at our disposal that we do not use (okay, me anyway). I guess you can own all the anatomy books you want, but unless you study the information they contain all they do is fill a book shelf and collect dust.~Gary
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Excellent post,Quang (y) Thanks for the great insight into the wonderful world of sculpting. Now I'll know what to look out for when I start on my first sculpting project ! Cheers !
    Kenneth
  8. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Now this is what I call a planetfigure post, clean concise constructive.

Kewl post Q.

Robin
  9. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Quang

As ever, very informative and useful. (y)

cheers

Rob
  10. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Interesting post - thanks Quang. This is the kind of stuff that makes PlanetFigure the most interesting forum of all. (y)
  11. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks Quang
    For sharing yet another of your insights
    with us.

Frank (y) (y)
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks, guys. Glad you like it!

Francesca, welcome to the planet. We hope to see more of your sculpts.

"Explanation and photos", well yes indeed, that's a taste of what this forum used to be.

Enjoy! (y)

Q.
  13. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Quang , everytime you open your mouth I learn something. Please do not stop talking !!! Great post... Thanks

Stephen Mallia
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Quang,
    Thanks, for a Very interesting and informative post. Your an asset to Planet ,we can all learn something from you.

Roc.
    (y)