1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Face painting for fun!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

While Im slaving away at this stupid math junk I decided I needed to get away from it for a while and do something different. I havent painted anything in forever it feels like and I want to try some new flesh mixes. I decided to start on a 200mm head sculpted by John Rosengrant, the head is from the 200mm German Para in Ardennes kit from Warriors. Not sure if I will do the whole figure or not but I want to do the head atleast. Here are the eyes painted. Im not really happy with them as they are little crooked which to me is un acceptable, especially in this scale. Might have to redo them if I decide to paint the whole figure, I mainly want to paint skin tones for now so I'll leave them. They are done with Vallejo acrylics.

Attached Files:

2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Anders -

Don't you know this isn't supposed to be fun! Darn it! :lol:

As I have said earlier, your iris and pupil's are great.

I have recently taken up coloring of the upper and lower lid / lashes with Blue Black and Mars Red (sorry ... oils) respectively and very much like the results.
    The brown (raw umber?) around the eyes seems a little monotone, IMO only!
    Maybe some contrast on the lid /eye lashes?

Keith
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Anders,

I think the eyes wil start to look much better ones you start blocking in the outlines of the form of the eye. I might paint the pupil and iris a little bit bigger.

Greetz,

Gino

P.S. What colours did you use for the iris?
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I think the eyes themselves look good. In this scale though you probably want to outline the lower lid with something like Mars Orange, Cavalry Brown or somesuch in Vallejos.
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

The outlining is just the base, I will probably leave the upper lids the way they are, perhaps even a tad darker but the lower lids will be lightened when painting the skins.
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ive now painted the skintones. I am not really happy with them, I think its too rough for this scale. I think that I will work on it some more with midtones and some more highlights and we'll see where it goes from there. Maybe I'll just redo the whole hting, maybe not, we'll see, I like the tones of the skin though, they are a little dark perhaps, but that can be fixed. Im trying out a new formula for skins, it is very close to the one Doug Cohen uses. Let me know what you think!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    "Stupid math stuff"? :eek: Hey, watch it now! That's what keeps my proportions adequate whenever I sculpt a figure ;)
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Pete!

I acctually really like math, but when they give you 450+ problems to do in 3 days, which amounted to 43 pages of math it gets kinda dull

Here is an updated picture after some more painting on the face. It's getting there, the shadows needs to be blended some more though. Any other suggesitons on it?

[IMG]
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Anders, I think it looks pretty damn good (y) if somewhat a bit too orange, but that may be the lighting. I liked it even before you added the extra highlights, I think it's easy to overdo the large scale stuff.
  10. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    It's looking really good so far! But dude, what's with all those little bumps all over the surface? They look like clumps of pigment stuck to the paint.
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the nice comments

Leigh,

Yeah, he is pretty orangish, but thats ok IMO as I like it. It isnt very realistic, but it has a neat effect to it.

Pete,

The primer got on a little rough, and it probably has some magic sculp dust in it too

Here is the head basically finished. I think I may still go in and tweak a few things, especially the helmet straps as they are terrible, I'll also add some weathering to it with pastells.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hola Anders, it looks so great!! i love it

what color mix did u use?

greetings
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks great Anders.........ya doin better and better on each one. (y)

guy
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

I think it is looking really nice. It is hard IMHO to paint flesh in acrylics but to do it in a larger scale . You have done a very nice job and keep up the good work. (y)

Joe
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the comments guys ! This one was really an experiment and Im happy with how it turned out. I really like acrylics as if you don't like how it looks you can just apply a midtone and add more highlights and shadows to that and change everything without redoing too much.

Daniel,

The mix I used was Cavalry Brown, Orange Brown, Light Flesh, Light Brown, Flat Brown, White and some Black. All Vallejo's

Base: Cav Brown + Orange Brown + Light Brown + tad of Light Flesh

Highlights: Base mix + Light Flesh + White. I added increasing light flesh and added white progressivly to almost pure white for hi highlights.

Shadows: Base + more Cav Brown and Flat Brown.

Deep shadows: Shadow mix + Black.
  16. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Thanks Anders, i'll give it a try in my next figures ;)
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Anders - very good job.

How long did that take you - about 20 minutes!?!?!? Seriously - that was major speedy given the excellent result. I too like the orange tone although it imples a warmer climate.

My only slight criticism is wit the right eye - you can see white under the iris. You could probably fix this very easily with paint.

I'm impressed.

Colin
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
  19. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Pretty nice. You are a gutsy guy doing acrylic face painting in this scale.

So was it fun after all?

Keith
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the comments!

Colin,

I figure about 2-3 hours in 3 sittings. First I painted the eyes which didnt take very long, then about an hour to do the first skins and maybe an hour for the helmet, scarf and retouching the face. I agree with the eye, it looks little funky, I'll probably add some more under the eye to eliminate this.

Gordy,

You bet man, great place for pictures and they make the tags for you!!

Keith,

Of course it was fun! It was also a great experiment, and now I know more how to do it. Large faces really isnt all that bad as there are a lot of different shades involved. What is hard is to paint large areas of same color. But with very dilluted paint and some patience I think it is possible to do!