1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Eyes(catchlight And Direction)

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Wayneb, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Marc,
    Here are a couple of shots from the left side as requested.
    I can't see too many problems. See what you think.
    Cheers,
    Keith

IMG_5891.JPG IMG_5892.JPG
    Mike Stevens and Mark S like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I defenitely need a lesson in painting catchlight.
    It looks from all directions right. Never seen that.
    Perfect.

Marc
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    From looking at your work you are more than able to do this Marc.
    Kind regards Mate,
    Keith
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You are to generous Keith.

Marc
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I've used both methods; varnishing eyes to allow natural catchlights and painting them on. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

On balance I think smaller scale figures, up to 1/24th scale (75mm) benefit from a painted catchlight, as the surface area of the eye is smaller and a painted catchlight stands out more than a glossed eyeball.

For larger scale figures and busts, I favour gloss varnish as the size of the eyeball allows the light to reflect more easily.

At the end of the day, there's no right way or wrong way. There is whatever way works for you.
    NickM and Wings5797 like this.
  6. Mark S Guest

Oh NO!.....I think I feel another poll coming on!.........Hang on that doesn't sound quite how I meant it , anyway you know what I mean.

Wayne's original question, wasn't whether or not he should use a catchlight, but how it should be applied if you've decided to paint them. I think there is a right way and a wrong way to use catchlight's if you've decided to use them and hopefully the comments here have helped in that respect Wayne.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Agreed George;)

I don't think Wayne could do better than use Lee Sang Eon's SBS as a guide to painting catchlights.

Mark Bennette's Eye Painting tutorial is also worth looking at.
    Wings5797 and Mark S like this.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Agreed George.;) If you hit it with a cold spoon you should prevent unwanted polls:LOL:

You couldn't ask for a better SBS than the one produced by Sang Le
    Mark S likes this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks to all you guys for your enlightening help.You are all immortalized in my instructional folder.
    Very much appeciated.......Wayne
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    With the amount of stripping down I'm doing at the moment I can only dream of getting to the stage of painting eyes.
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Taff the trick is to paint them first in my opinion, otherwise you could have the most brilliant painted face and end up with cross eyes. Not that I've ever had a brilliantly painted face yet, still waiting on that one. Plenty of cross eyes though:D
    Mike Stevens and Helm like this.
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    I second that Richie I always do the eyes first then it's usually the face once thats done I always feel I've got a handle on what kind of guy I'm painting somehow

Steve
    Wings5797 likes this.