1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

experimental

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by brian, Oct 18, 2010.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Having a bit of a mad day so i thought i would paint this face in 2 oil colours and finish it in under an hour . I did it in 35 minutes.It was only an experiment to show to some of you new guys that you can get a fair result without all the hassle and that it's not exactly rocket science.I would take this face a lot further when it had dried to bring it to life if i was going to finish it but like a said it was only an experiment so it's into the the thinners for him.This face was produced with the help of boredom!!!
    Brian

Attached Files:

2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Tell us more :) the mix that u used, etc :)

Xenofon
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I know someone else that uses just two colours for his flesh, and it's not me.
    Great work Brian,
    Carl.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Brian,
    For a fantasy it is enough. Looking great for that.

marc
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Xenofon
    I used Old Holland's Warm Sepia and Titanium White over the top of a grey and white primer.If you added a touch of red into the mix you'ld have a good basic skin tone.This is the basis that i would use just like an undercoat before i started painting wet on dry.
    Brian
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Carl
    I've never used just 2 colours before as this was just a wee exercise in blending etc..and it would probably take about 2hours and another 2 hours when dry to finish wet on dry if i had been painting this seriously.
    I just thought it would be a good guide for any newbies to the hobby to take some of the mystique out of painting faces.
    Brian
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian, nice example but it would be a great guide for newbies if you showed how you applied the paint I.E. what quantities and colour and with what style of brush e.g. wide, flat, stabbing motion, circles, strokes and maybe even your method of how you blended the transitions.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Grant
    I started by priming the face with Halford's grey primer and then using Games Workshop Skull White i sprayed in a halo fashion directly from the top of the face.Thia will leave you with a pre shaded and highlighted face.Then you apply the oils directly on the the different areas with varying tones of Warm Sepia and Titanium White.I applied it with a size 2 brush and then where the different tones meet i blend with a fairly large flat brush using a sweeping motion which will give you intermediate tones.I don't use any thinners at this stage.
    Hopes this helps
    Brian
  10. AntiJihadistCrusader Member

United-States
    Hell! at last I have found someone to have reached the same conclusion about color use that I made some time before...I sometimes feel that we have lost some of the artfull realistic dramatic simplicity that once was "the" style...not so many colors and contrasts but a few tones well palied and balanced,,,come to mind Shep Paine, the color guides for the late 1970s early 80's Testors 1/35th WW2 figures..the use of oils and testors an dhumbrol
  11. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Nicely done. Looks a bit like Yul Brynner. I've always wanted to try a monochromatic scheme; I've seen it done on some 30mm fantasy minis and it looks really great.

Cheers,

Glen
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece