1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Excellent Lewis & Clark Reference

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by garyjd, Nov 11, 2003.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    For those that have an interest (like me) in early American uniforms/equipment you can't be without this in your library. The book is "Lewis & Clark, Tailor made trail worn, Army life, clothing & weapons of the Corps of Discovery", by Robert J. Moore, Jr. and Michael Haynes. This 288 page tome is filled with several color and black and white paintings and drawings illustrating all that is contained in the title. I'm very impressed with the multiple view drawings of the various military coats/coatees and other clothing worn by members of the expedition. The color paintings and figure studies by Michael Haynes are superb, his style is similiar to Gerry Embleton's with the exception that all the faces do not look the same. Below is where I ordered my copy, it was only $29.95 (US), what a buy. An absolutely fantastic book! (y) (y) (y) (y) ~Gary

www.lewisandclark.com/goods/bksgngalng.html
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is one several of Michael Hayne's paintings that fill the book. There is an illustration or painting on almost every page.~Gary
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary,
    As you can tell by my avatar, I am an avid fan of the Early America, Mountain Men era. I have several books on the fur trade and this period of time.

Guy (y)
  4. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Gary,

The book looks FANTASTIC!

I checked out the website to order the book but was put off by the shipping costs to Europe ($10 extra plus the actual cost!).

Is there anything in it about Sacajawea?

Thanks for the heads-up (y) (y) (y)

Quang
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, I would not not be put off by the price. I'm sure it may one day be in softcover also. which mich make it a bit cheaper. My feeling is that this is one to get while the getting is good. I've passed up books before to only have to shell out more than I cared to finally get a copy. As for Sacagawea, there are about eight pages of text and or illustrations about her. Here is one, would'nt mind sculpting this. Enjoy.~Gary
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Oh, it's THAT Michael Haynes.

I've found the same illustration on the web a few months ago and was quite impressed by Haynes' artistic skills and attention to detail. Looked to see more works from him but didn't found any (on the web anyway).

So it seems that it's about time to shell out my hard-earned euros and buy the book.

2004 is the Bicentennial of Lewis and Clark Expedition and we'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary at PiLiPiLi. A neat conjunction for a special figure?

Quang
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    hmmmm....was that a hint Quang? sure hope so

Guy (y)
  8. quang Active Member

Belgium
  9. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gary for that!

I appreciate good artwork, and for me that is good artwork!

Curious to see what Quangs brewing up......

Rob
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Whatever it is you do will be up to your usual standard. I'm going to do something related to the expedition, but at the rate I work we'll be celebrating in 2005! I sent Mr. Haynes an e-mail congratulating him on illustrating such a fine book. It will be interesting to see who else produces something of the event, I can't imagine it being ignored, especially here in the States. Better finish that Marine.~Gary
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    For further inspiration check out amazon.com for the soundtrack to Lewis & Clark: Journey of the Corps of Discovery, it's from the Ken Burns Documentary. It's listed in the Popular Music catagory and has a few sample tracks.~Gary
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    To be frank with you, I've been toying with this L&C project for a few months already. But I'm still hesitating between several other subjects.

Anyway, que sera, sera.

Quang
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Regardless of who comes out with what, I hope you do something, You have a special way with Native subjects.~Gary
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the web address for artist Michael Haynes who illustrated the book.~Gary

www.mhaynesart.com
  15. Shane Active Member

Thanks for posting this, Gary. Looks like a fantastic book. A bit out of my subject area of late, but it sure does look tempting. I hope Quang or you come out with something from this. I bet the subject matter would be a hot seller.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Shane, As soon as my Marine is finished I may start something. It will be done however in conjunction with a collaboration piece I'm doing for Kreston Peckham. I just hope whoever does something will do the subject justice. The book can be used by itself, although I'd use it along with other info I have on weapons and equipment. I can not comment enough on this book, it's well put together.~Gary
  17. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Shane,

Why don't you let yourself be tempted?

I'm sure there are many of us here who will be glad to help you 'put your foot in the stirrups' ;)

Quang
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the links, I will post them into our link section under "Historical"

Guy