1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Evolution Miniatures Metro Stalker #2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

I was waiting to see what the winds would blow my way via Spain, and decided to start on something to keep busy. I had a couple more Evolution Stalkers in the stash, chose one and went with a simple base and a setting that I could try something atmospheric on, a Stalker overlooking a burning town. It's up to the viewer to decide the exact nature of the scene. Could be sinister, could be sad, or anything in between. The idea is to have the glow of fire in the front, and moon glow coming in from above and behind.

A quick and dirty with two pieces of cork bark and Celluclay/plaster filler, cork bits for rocks and debris then skinned with styrene sheet.

P9253058.JPG

P9253059.JPG

P9253060.JPG

P9253061.JPG

P9253062.JPG

I gave everything a coat of primer, roughly 70% Black and 30% Ultramarine to get some bluish tones in early.

P9283068.JPG

P9283069.JPG

P9283070.JPG

P9283071.JPG

And a quick light source for the fire glow with a flashlight. It is somewhat exaggerated, but a good guide.

P9283064.JPG

P9283066.JPG

P9283067.JPG

I will be adding some snow into the scene as well, I just have to decide on the order of things from here on in. This should be fun.

Kimmo
    Zim, MoboSchreuder, Babelfish and 5 others like this.
  2. Kimmo A Fixture

Got a good session in today, the initial colours and highlighting has been done. I decided to add some texture paste in the areas where I want snow to help make things easy to follow. I gave the snow areas a coat of Ultramarine, which looks more than a bit odd at the moment but will mostly disappear when the actual snow gets put down. I gave everything a dry brush with white, followed by light glazes to give me a good base for highlights and environmental light. Click on photos for full size.

P9303072.JPG

P9303073.JPG

P9303074.JPG

P9303075.JPG

P9303076.JPG

The base coats were applied very thin, think contrast paints. I'm making good use of the Malefic Flesh set again, the desaturated colours are perfect for this setting. I'm just eyeballing values and tones, lots of greys, tans and purples to choose from as needed. The coat is mostly Hull Red, pants, hoodie and gloves Violet Brown. Amaranth Red and Sunny Skin Tone for the fire and Light Sea Grey for the moon glow. This is just the initial stage to set the overall values.

P9303077.JPG

P9303078.JPG

P9303079.JPG

P9303080.JPG

P9303081.JPG

Now I can start defining stuff and start applying shadows. Plenty of fun left.

Kimmo
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

"Waiting for a Spanish wind" eh ........sounds interesting

You like these stalker so this is going to be a good interesting SBS

Following with interest after your good start

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Nice progress! What scale or size is this figure?

Prost!
    Brad
  5. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap and Brad!

Nap, all will be revealed soon enough. I like the Stalkers because of the relative freedom you get in painting and displaying them. I picked up a bunch on auction a few years back, one more left in the stash.

Brad, it's 1/35th or 50mm.

Kimmo
    Nap and theBaron like this.
  6. Kimmo A Fixture

A fair bit of progress, lots of fussy stuff getting all the little details defined and building up the shadows. I applied some snow by mixing matt medium with micro balloons. It makes a decent snow, good enough for my purposes here. You can mix the micro balloons in with PVA, varnish, heavy gel etc for a slightly different look and feel. I do have some excellent snow product but it wasn't really needed. I also took photos on a dark background to see how things are shaping up.

PA023082.JPG

PA023083.JPG

PA023084.JPG

PA023085.JPG

PA023086.JPG

As you can see, the blue undercoat has basically disappeared, there is just a hint coming through here and there. Next up I'll get some contrast added to the snow with blue filters, and add some fire glow as well. The figure is coming along nicely and might be done with a couple of good sessions.

Kimmo
    NigelR, Babelfish and Nap like this.
  7. Kimmo A Fixture

Another good evening at the bench. The snow has been given some depth with blue washes and glazes, and some fire glow added. I think a bit more deep shadow is needed in some places, the desk light overpowers a lot of the subtlety. A bit more refining and detailing was done as well. The satphone had the dials and display picked out with flourescent yellow mixed with a touch of blue and ivory. It actually glows in the dark.

PA033087.JPG

PA033088.JPG

PA033089.JPG

PA033090.JPG

PA033091.JPG

I think one more session should do it.

Kimmo
    NigelR, Nap and grasshopper like this.
  8. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Catching up on things after a 4 day break with family ......your certainly moving forward with this one , figures looking good and great explanations on the idea and thoughts

Basework is effective

You certainly paint quick !

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. NigelR A Fixture

This looks fantastic, very clever and effective approach to the painting using the thin layers to build up the effect.
  11. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Grasshopper, Nap and Nigel!

Final session will have to wait for a bit, been having some headaches and eye issues the last couple of days so no bench time.

Kimmo
  12. Kimmo A Fixture

I think we're done, better photos still have to be taken. I spent a bit of time deepening the shadows on the pants, especially the parts just under the coat. The flame glow needed some toning down, a red filter took care of that. I also added some stronger shadows to the rocks opposite to where the glow hits. The snow got more blue and some very light splotches were added to boost contrast.

PA083093.JPG

PA083094.JPG

PA083095.JPG

PA083096.JPG

PA083097.JPG

I'll get a gallery link up as soon as I get the new set of photos taken and edited.

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Tha is some really cool color contrast, impressive! Wow!
  14. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I really enjoyed seeing this figure progressing. The end result is great. Food for thought. Congratulations
    Nap likes this.
  15. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Ski and Clubcat!

This was certainly an interesting and fun exercise. You never know what you can do until you try. I finally got some good photos taken, and a couple of things stood out from the shoot. The effect and mood of the piece is drastically changed by the viewing angle. I took a set low, mid and high. All the settings were the same, and the edits done the same way too. Click for full versions.

3.JPG 7.JPG 21.JPG

Another thing that caught my attention was how much darker I could have gone with this. I adjusted the mid levels on the darker photo by quite a bit, maybe 20% or so. Any more than that and detail was getting lost.

21.JPG 21b.JPG

I took a shot of my palette and paints, for those of you keeping track. One note on the palette, this about the 10th use of this same sheet of Redgrass Games reusable membrane. I actually think it works a bit better now that it has been washed so often. It is stained, but the stains don't contaminate fresh paint.

PA103100.JPG

And the paints. I love this set.

PA103098.JPG

PA103099.JPG

And the long awaited gallery link

Thanks to everyone who followed along and commented.

Kimmo
    lascar 22, clubcat and Nap like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks for the excellent SBS and all the details

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  17. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap. Sharing is caring ;)

Kimmo
  18. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I love that palette shot. I gotta tell ya, what really sets this figure off is the colors you've worked on the figure itself in contrast with the blue hues on the snow. Incredible eye catcher, Kimmo, awsome!
  19. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Ski!

Kimmo