1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Eva - Produced by Robot Rocket Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Gary_81, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Eva
    1-other-angle-robot-rocket-aythami-alonso-notoriginalminis-1-eva_2__sized.jpg

Sculpted by Ali Jalali
    Box art by Aythami Alonso Torrent
    Concept by Jude Smith
    Cast by Broken Toad
    Produced by Robot Rocket Miniatures
    Scale 1:11
    Price at the time of writing £45.00
    Materiel Grey Resin

Packaging and Contents

IMG_1951.png

IMG_1928.png IMG_1937.png

I ordered Eva along with Lock N Load directly from Robot Rocket Miniatures and they both arrived quickly and in perfect condition. It's exactly the same kind of packaging as in my other review, a nice sturdy cardboard box and foam padding providing ample protection for the resin model inside.
    Again we have the Robot Rocket logo on the top of the box and on the bottom is a photo of the box art.
    The kit consists of thirteen parts with the smaller parts in a separate plastic bag for added protection which is very useful as some of the straps are very small and could easily get lost otherwise.

Kit Components

Heads

IMG_2031.png IMG_2032.png IMG_2033.png IMG_2034.png IMG_2027.png IMG_2028.png IMG_2029.png IMG_2030.png

When I first saw this kit I had no idea it came with two heads as I hadn't seen a painted version with the helmeted head option, that being said now that I own it I'm really glad it does come with two options as both are amazing.
    The bare head has no mould lines I can find and has been beautifully sculpted with a very realistic face and some finally detailed hair. The neck muscles have been nicely sculpted showing the head is tilted at a angle and slightly straining. I think the best way to view this face is in the painted box art as I think the painted version shows all the quality in the expression as it is very subtle but well done.
    The masked version only has a small mould line at the back and like the unmasked version has that nice head tilt and muscle definition on the neck. The mask has been really well done and feels like it's from Titanfall or Destiny with the amazing scifi design, I really like the optical lenses on the front it adds a bit of a special forces look to it. A clever part of the heads is the collar on the neck, with this design it would be very easy to have both heads painted and to just swap them as you wish. This is great as some kits that offer different options make you choose one or another which would need to be glued in before the rest of the kit can be assembled.

Chest
    IMG_2018.png IMG_2019.png IMG_2020.png IMG_2021.png

The chest has a single pour spout at the back which can be removed easily and will be hidden later by the jacket, the mould line has also cleverly been put at the back where it will be covered later.
    This part like all other has perfect keys so everything matches up perfectly with no tinkering needed. The main focus of this part has to be the bust which in my opinion has been well sculpted and done in a realistic way with the swimsuit giving lift and support. Aside from that aspect I think when looking closely you start to notice how well the neck and collarbone have been sculpted to, this might be easily overlooked but it does show the sculptors understanding of anatomy very well.

Waist
    IMG_2005.png IMG_2006.png IMG_2008.png IMG_2009.png

The waist has the remains of a casting block on the underside and apart from that only a little sanding at the bottom is needed for a smooth finish.
    I really like the design here with the mix of the mechanical elements and the continuation of the swimsuit and a perfectly sculpted bit of anatomy front and back :D. I do think with the sexy look of the model it would be easy to overlook the sculptors ability regarding anatomy as the movement of the muscles and the angle she is in has been done perfectly, you can really feel the body straining in the pose. I would also like to point out the swimsuit, there isn't much but what there is has got some lovely fabric definition. With the creases placed so well you get the feel of the fabric straining and it gives a great sense of the tightness of the outfit which adds to the realism in a scifi model.

Jacket
    IMG_1999.png IMG_2001.png IMG_2003.png IMG_2004.png
    On the jacket there is minimal cleanup to be done, only a few tiny bumps here and there along the bottom edge. The design of this part is very clever as everything seems to come together inside it, the bust slots in easily as do the arms and I think without 3D sculpting this would have been a big headache to achieve and line up so perfectly. With the jacket being a separate piece it does allow for a separation of body and jacket with a large undercut especially at the back, if this was one piece I'm not sure that would have been possible so once again great design planning.
    The actual design of the jacket is really nice as it offers a nice contrast to the skimpy tight fitting swimsuit. Here with have a large padded winter jacket with a fur collar which really is the polar opposite to everything else Eva is wearing. The sculpting work is very nice and you really get the feel of the padding with the sections puffing out nicely. Added to this the fur collar looks very realistic with the fur moving in different directions and well textured offering high realism. With the straps and the small mechanical plate on the back it helps tie everything together and unify it with Eva's body very nicely.

Continued in the next post

oldtrousers likes this.
  2. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Arms and gun
    IMG_2010.png IMG_2011.png IMG_2012.png IMG_2013.png IMG_2015.png IMG_2017.png IMG_2022.png IMG_2023.png
    The right arm has a small mould line down either side of it that will be easy to remove. You have a nice continuation of the jacket and with it being raised up her forearm it's been sculpted with some nice scrunching of the material and the cuff being nice and tight with some great detail on the fabric. It's hard to see on the photos but the inside of the forearm has some nice muscle definition as if she really is putting weight onto the arm for support, really great sculpting and attention to even the smallest details.
    The upper left arm has a casting block at the top on the inside which will be clipped of easily. Like the other arm the jacket detail continues and we have more of the scrunching with the sleeve being pushed up. This part has a nice groove on the cuff so the lower part of the arm slips in and lines up perfectly, it really is great how easily all parts on this kit go together.
    The last part of the arm is the mechanical arm and gun, there is a little pour spout at the tip of the gun on the sight and other than that very little in the way of cleanup. I wasn't sure at first if I liked this part as there are a few kits out there with scifi females with one mechanical arm and I was worried it would feel like a bit of a boring trend. But for me I think it does work here and the design looks original and also blends in perfectly with the gun. I like how the wrist has a ball joint as in reality you would want a wrist with more rotation, it's nice that this has been thought through making it a realistic scifi arm. The gun has also been very well done and is a great looking mechanical piece, it reminds me of a P90 but a more elongated and advanced rifle version. I think mechanical parts like this are where a sculptor using 3D sculpting can really go to town and show of all the detail that can be achieved even on small parts.

Straps
    IMG_2024.png IMG_2026.png

The straps only really have a little flashing to clean off as well as the tiny pour spouts to be clipped off. We have the strap that goes around the back and then four that are placed at the front. Being separate parts allows the jacket to be more dynamic and the movement of these pieces looks great on the finished model. As for the sculpting the quality is top notch here, the buckles are so tiny but so perfect and they really do look like the strap has been pulled through them and fastened. I think for me small parts should always be sculpted to this level as when they are overlooked on a well sculpted model it stands out even more.

Final Thoughts

The whole design of this kit appeals to me as I love pinup designs and I love scifi so the combination of both is a perfect choice. The quality of the sculpting is out of this world and the anatomy is perfect, if anyone wants to practice painting female models this would be a great option as you have enough skin exposed to practice on but also a cool concept and a lot of other textures to paint as well. The casting once again done by Broken Toad is of the highest quality and with there experience everything has come out with very little cleanup needed and all the parts slot together perfectly.
    Being my second kit from Robot Rocket Miniatures I can't recommend them highly enough as the service from them and the quality of there kits has been very high, I know that for me I will be buying more from them in the future, the only down side is how fast they sell out there kits and how long it can be for them to be back in stock.
    I will finish with some concept art by Jude Smith and some box art by Aythami Alonso Torrent.

Gary

Eva-3.jpg

robot-rocket-aythami-alonso-notoriginalminis-5-eva.jpg

robot-rocket-aythami-alonso-notoriginalminis-6-eva.jpg

robot-rocket-aythami-alonso-notoriginalminis-7-eva.jpg
  3. MrBMB A Fixture

Outstanding work!!!
    If this was a full figure I would be all over it!!!!
    "There's something about it that reminds me of her" - The Naked Gun
    Gary_81 likes this.
  4. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm glad you like the review and the model. She would have made a great full figure true but with the pose she would have needed a big piece of scenery with her hand resting on something.
    I was thinking it would be fun to use water effects and have her hand on the edge of a pool or water tank, as if she's pulling herself out of it. That way ever though it's a half bust it would still feel like a full figure if the water was coloured so you couldn't see the legs.

Gary
  5. MrBMB A Fixture

Need a Ma.k suit in that scale for her to come out of :cool: or SciFi tank turret
    Gary_81 likes this.
  6. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    unfortunately she's not available anymore on RR's website :(
    Gary_81 likes this.
  7. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    That's actually a really good idea.

Gary
  8. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    So many of there models go out of stock really fast. I know Nap said Robot Rocket are supporters of FOTM so maybe they could post in the news section when they restock. I think they put the models up on a pre order normally then the rest goes into general stock after.

Gary
    franck edet likes this.