1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by MalcC, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I wonder whether the Folkestone MRC got a concession of grant as they are local, it would be good to find out. MyTimeMedia, obviously don't.
    Let's hope negotiations will be in the shows favour and we can look forward to a very enjoyable show next year.

I have put forward a suggestion, that there could be a BoS show to cover AFV including aircraft and ships, military figures, fantasy and finally juniors, so each major category would have a BoS. The idea has been well received and will be considered for next year.
    Hopefully this could make a difference to the number of entries.

Malc
    garyhiggins, Tommi and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Malc I has yet have to have a response to my email to Bob from the Railway expo. fingers crossed I get one soon.

It's good that they seem to be taking on board what is being said at My Time Media but I wont hold my breath. it is going to be difficult next year with World Expo and other shows around it. but lets see what they come up with.
    Cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    garyhiggins likes this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Malc.

For a successful Euro we need three elements Traders, Footfall, Quality Competition entries. If any of these three elements fall short then the WHOLE event will fall short.

MT media need to seriously look at all three, we can have BoS in every category under the sun but without the other two elements we have nothing.

All three need to be promoted and supported equally

Mick
    garyhiggins, Nige and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here Here Mick I agree with what you say. but will they look? who knows. I love the show but have to say it's very sad to see it in this state very sad indeed.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  5. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I hear what you say Mick, but I'm not dealing the MT media my discussions are elsewhere, and there thoughts are the same as ours.

Malc
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Robert

I'm hearing you mate, though bear in mind realistically I'm only getting to one Northern show each decade ;)
    If I make Chicago in 2017, the chances of Euro being around for its 35th or 40th seem slimmer by the day.
    I'd like to be proven wrong but at this stage SMC is shaping up with everything Euro isn't.
    Special guests, special releases, special offers...
    Let alone what all the other Euro shows like MonteS & Kalmbach seem to offer.
    And that's just what I see from bottom of the world :)

Would be neat to meet in Chicago f'sure.
    Am also toying with earlier trip to meet family in Ireland\UK earlier in year too.
    So who knows what may pan out.
    Little way off before final decision is made.
    Will keep you & others posted.

Stay safe,
    Mike
  7. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Now I don't come on here so often anymore and its been 20 years since I attended Euro Militaire but after reading what everyone has said I feel I must say something.
    From what I've heard Euro has not improved since I last went and I'm not really surprised. Even back then people were squashed into an area too small for such a prestigious show that was loved by all of us modellers. Back then they still wore backpacks which as well as being a nuisance to others trying to see entries in the competition room, were also downright dangerous with such delicate models on display. I am also amazed that in this day and age, and I am talking terrorists, that backpacks are still allowed inside.
    The problem as I see it is this. The people, and I don't know who they are, who rake in the money for hire of the hall, tables, etc, see this event as just a cash cow, nothing more. We modellers on the other hand see nostalgia for better times and fear to use anywhere else as a venue for this show. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said in 1933, "We have nothing to fear except fear itself." What is wrong with finding a new venue such as the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham or the like. They certainly have the room. I can already hear the responses, it will be too expensive, people from Europe won't travel that bit further. What is more expensive than being ripped off every year and I'm sure most people would travel more miles if they knew they were in for a great show. Whats the distance from Folkestone to Birmingham if you're travelling from Austria or Italy?
    Now you might all say to me, mind your own business as you don't go to Folkestone anymore, and that would be ok, but the main reason I don't go is because the area is so run down. The drunks are fighting in the street and I dont want my wife to see that. The venue is too small and far too expensive. Is this really what we want for the jewel in the crown for modellers?
    Food for thought.
    Viking Bob, tock24, Briank and 5 others like this.
  8. Vitalino A Fixture

Hello everyone
    I always had a strong desire to go to Euromilitaire
    but with all the negative comments, over a few years that I have read in various forums that go beyond the positive, my will decrease more and more! I am sorry that some day this event is over, not for being a reference in the world of all modellers, but for people like me this illusion to watch end forever !!
    Very sad !
    The organization has to do something ... and quickly !!!!!

Vitalino
  9. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    As Jazz says, why not Birmingham? It has a very good International Airport, very close to the NEC......
    BR
    Ian
    garyhiggins, Jazz and Viking Bob like this.
  10. mick3272 A Fixture

You could take it to Brum, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, or any place else in the UK unless the hart is put back into it you are just moving a has been failing event from one town to another. Its just not the venue,that needs to change its the whole package.

But I doubt anything will change and in the next couple of years the third weekend in September will be free to go early Christmas shopping with the Mrs ( Deep Joy)

Mick
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Absolutely never ever ever Glasgow :D
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

Mick is right get the heart back into the show and it will be fine , my opinion is that it hould move from the Leas but stay in the South.

As a matter of interest has anything been heard back from the organisors or indeed anyone ...there has been massive comments both here and on FB as well as on figurementors

Nap
    garyhiggins likes this.
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hang on, Del, I recall a great model expo held in Glasgow, admittedly about 18-20 years ago, and Mrs E and our friends had a lovely time up there. Did all the Rennie Mackintosh things, the College of Art, the Tea Rooms, etc. Had nice ale in Sauchiehall Street, met with courtesy wherever we went, and had a marvellous trip out to the Edinburgh Tattoo. All in four days. Also spent a wad of dosh at the model show! :LOL:

Alan
    garyhiggins, Jazz and Nige like this.
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Yeah but I live in Glasgow and much more importantly so does my wife ....... what do you think the odds are of her agreeing to let me spend 3 nights in a hotel and drink as much as I like??????? :eek:
    custer760, garyhiggins, Jazz and 5 others like this.
  15. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Suspected there was an ulterior motive :whistle:
    garyhiggins, Jazz and DEL like this.
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

Simple's Don't tell her it moved. I can always arrange for a postcard to be sent from F/stone (y) Sorted

Mick
    garyhiggins, Jazz, DaddyO and 3 others like this.
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    She has eyes everywhere.........I live in fear :arghh:
    custer760, garyhiggins, Jazz and 3 others like this.
  18. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all still waiting for a reply to my questions, sorry could not be of more help at the moment. Leeds would have been a great chance to do something. but when the trade turn their back on it what can you do. they believed in Euro and wanted to give it a chance. and now they have seen what has happend. I'm sorry but I don't think there is the will to move it at the moment no matter how bad it gets.

yes it needs improvement but it will take the movement of the traders & the modelling community to force the change. at the moment the powers that be will sit back and do nothing but give you lip service. they know sentiment will win the day and they will do the same as they did this year nothing. people will visit, traders will pay the money and complaints will happen again, and so the show goes on. untill the trade take a stand as say enough is enough nothing will change.

If the organisers pull the plug that might not be such a bad thing, I think then a group of people could pick it up and run with it. the only thing is the name would have to change as the company owns the rights to the show name. I'm sure they would sell it to you at a very inflated price.

Only when the commercial company is out of the way and it's run by people who care and the changes made do I believe the show will be back where it belongs. and not where it is now.

Just my thoughts.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Bootneck, Jazz, mick3272 and 3 others like this.
  19. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Agree with you Ian. If it stays at Folkestone it will wither and die.

On a brighter note We've decided on Eindhoven next year. Hotel is 20 euros cheaper per night plus breakfast or 40 euros per night without breakfast. No damp in the bedrooms and probably no dog shit in the streets. That is without even talking about the show itself. What's not to like ?
    Jazz and ellie like this.
  20. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Please remember that some traders drive over, Pegaso for example. When they arrive at Folkestone they don't have too far to go.
    Would they drive on to Birmingham, I somewhat doubt it.
    No matter what the facilities are like in Folkestone, its still the most convenient location for our European traders to get to.
    Regardless of the state of the Leas Cliff Hall, it needs to remain there, until somewhere more suitable becomes available.
    At the moment its more important for us to support the show and hope the organisers do the same. or its goodbye Euro.

Malc
    custer760 likes this.