1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Euro 2015 - and RP Models

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by Adrian Cowdry, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Two poached eggs on toast on Saturday morning and only one poached egg on the Sunday but twice as much toast! when it eventually arrived and overcooked!:wtf:

Tommi
  2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We were at the Salisbury, we came down for breakfast Sunday and got told they had nothing left!
    We had two cups of tea and that was it.

Gells
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    You guys sure you didn't check in at Fawlty Towers? :ROFLMAO: I learn English from a book! said the moose.

Cheers,

Gino
    crf and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Steve - No I am probably not going to attend next year - I may be persuaded otherwise - I took two with me and they shared the fuel. As you can see in previous posts - I was not impressed - the main reason for me going was to collect stock for a friends model shop.

As someone else mentioned the show used to be ramped with punters and traders - the over pricing is chasing people away either side of the table.

The social side is great and to see friends and pals is great but I can see most of these pals at Telford.

Seeing the competition is awesome - but it isn't enough for me to get all the way down to Folkstone and back and spend a tenner and not have many traders to choose from.

The days of the renactors, vehicles etc. are long gone. Euro has pailed in my opinion - and it is interesting to note that the traders on this thread have corroborated how light the actual event was for them - That has to be significant and tell all - if two or thre have voiced their opinions it stands to reason that more had the same opinion.

The company running Euro have got greedy and in doing so I think the show will slowly fade - I don't think £10 is value for money - Hornchurch and Milton Keynes are far bigger shows - OK not figure oriented but impressive - many of the UK traders at Euro atend these shows...I'll be sticking to these shows and giving Euro a miss - sad but it is the principle.

As anaside I am sad for all you lot that had bad service at the hotels - I would have asked for money back! But am 6'5" red haired and irate!
    Blind Pew, Babelfish and gforceman like this.
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Have to say that I have been going to Euro almost since it started, it is not the show it use to be but it is still the premier show for figure modellers in the UK.I go every year at considerable cost and the entry fee is the least expensive part of it and my opinion worth every penny to see the cream of modelling on show.Roll on next year and to spending a wonderful weekend with like minded friends .Cant say I would spend the same money to visit Hornchurch and Milton Keynes.
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is my second year and plan to attend again.

Can't see anything else in the UK touching Euro tbh. It's sixteen quid to get into the Scots nationals at Perth f0r two days and as the competition area gets smaller and smaller whilst the traders are much of a same with only one figure stall selling figures.

The standard of figures and busts which I go for is astounding at Euroand gives me the inspiration to try and reach these dizzy heights.

New blood will come through and replace the 6'5 red haired irate people I guess.

Gells
    napoleonpeart and Babelfish like this.
  7. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Gells
    Ha ha...I hope new blood doesr turn up...but I fear it will be the other way round.

As long as they keep Euro going yhen people will attend but the fact that traders are complaining about the price and start to not turn up...then it becomes a downward spiral...

I think Euro as this is my 4th visit in 5 years has dwindled...noticably.

The competition is not in question the talent on show is anazing and the competition is well established.

I would ventue to say that if it were just a competition you would only get entrants visiting...very few gazers...the majority want traders as well
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Janne, having met you mate, I wouldn't trust you with glass either.... :D
    peedee likes this.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    But on a more serious note, I think Euro is becoming the show that ate itself.

Yes, a full hands up as it remains the only truly world class show we have on these shores. The array and depth of talent on those competition tables takes some beating. That is beyond question.

Importantly as well, it's great to meet all different people that you wouldn't normally and that aspect is always great.

However my admiration ends there.

Euro is really a trade fair with a high-class competition downstairs.

Many traders dare not not be there as they feel that they need the presence in a crowded market place, which is understandable, but I can see a few dropping off as there are alternatives now.

I reckon if that central Pegaso stand went, the event would be in jeopardy. No offence to any other manufacturer, my admiration for whom is no secret.

The venue is awful, all those flights of stairs everywhere, barely enough room to squeeze through etc etc.

And Folkestone was only ever picked as a location as it was very convenient for the initial organisers all those years ago. And it stuck.
    mick3272, napoleonpeart and Uruk-Hai like this.
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Ahh, for feck sake, you cut somebody up and you never hear the end of it..........:rolleyes:

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    peedee and Blind Pew like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    But it is an event that we all nevertheless care about.
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Didn't take long for the usual post mortem,the majority of it being on the negative side.All these negative points are read by the worlds figure sculpters and painters.God only knows what they're thinking when they read this,especially the ones that are thinking of going for the first time in the future.
    A tenner to get in to see some of the best painters on this planet in good old U.K. Seems like a no brainer to me.I too missed out on breakfast on the second morning,mostly due to the fact that we got the times wrong and were late.No problems there then.The figures are up,or the figures were down.The price of tables were far too pricey.There didn't seem to be as many people there as before.I've hears these comments every bloody year.I spent a fair ammount of money of money on travel to get there and i bought the figures and sundries that i wanted.The booze was a rip off,but the evening meals were spot on.
    It's a once a year event that i would recommend to anyone.Nothing personal mate but i hark back to the £10 to get in.I think you've just ruined the myth that the Scots are tight fisted and believe you me it has always been a myth.
    If anyone is interested in finding out where the myth of tight fisted Scotsmen came from,just ask.How much did the weekend cost including everything? I don't know and i don't care.I had a ball!!!!!
    peedee, Jeff T, elanlane13 and 3 others like this.
  13. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    And I remember when it was packed everywhere almost all day. And smoking used to be allowed inside? That was truly disgusting although I smoked myself at that time. It is still a good show as many others already have confirmed due to the high level of exhibits, unique traders and good comraderie.

But the numbers are dwindling. I see that especially among foreign visitors like Scandinavians, Germans, French, Italian, Spanish, Belgians and Dutch. And to be far, many of those are also interested in armor where many new shows have popped up to cater for.

And as stated before, the organizers are no enthusiats per se, rather a event that needs some profit. How much profit it need and how much it make, I have no idea.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Another negative to add to the list .Something which is not in our power to change ,let us enjoy it while it lasts

Let's hear some positives lads
    elanlane13 and crf like this.
  15. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I don't think its been all negative Snad - I think positives have already been mentioned eg : the outstanding quality in the competition does not diminish and its a great meet to see old friends. If people are paying customers then they are only voicing an opinion on something they've just paid to view. Just because some opinions are negative doesn't mean the show is going to disappear (that'll be your glass half empty again :)). Could be worse mate there's no been the usual thread on the judging.
  16. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    The reason that we take this matter up is because we actually care. We want it to have its 50th anniversary and not to disapear.

The opposite reaction would be trying to convince everybody and oneself that all is fine and its gonna get better. I rather view my opinions and hope they and others are considered.

One surprise was that there seemed to be a lot of Canadians there this year. I talked to a handful of them and they seemed to have enjoyed it very much. But the standing joke are the hotels.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    crf and Nige like this.
  17. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I've been going for about 25 years and i know what to expect,and always enjoy myself,but i'm of the opinion if you can't say something positive,better to say nothing at all.I know for a fact that negative publicity about Euro,which they've gleened from this site,have kept some folk away.If all you've got to whinge about is the £10 fee,i can't comprehend that at all.
    I too want Euro to last many moons,so i can continue with my annual pilgrimage.
    crf likes this.
  18. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just to point out guys, several here seem to be assuming that the organisers make a profit. I've been told on good authority (and I've no reason to disbelieve them) that Euro barely breaks-even.

The why's and wherefores and what ifs can go forever, but I think its a myth that there are huge funds to be made from holding model shows.
    elanlane13 and crf like this.
  19. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I totally agree with you Darren.
  20. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    The Southcliffe is where it all happens now Nige.
    DEL and Nige like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.