1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Etruscan Hoplite on Chariot, Pegaso ModelsVI Century BC

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ricky, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Ricky Active Member

Italy
    Perseas, Dr Bison, megroot and 13 others like this.
  2. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A marvellous work and fascinating SBS (y)

Can't wait for the horses :)
    Ricky likes this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fabulous sculpt Ricky and good to see how you go about it. Is there a wire armature in the figure initially?
    Cheers
    Paul
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely sculpted! (y)(y)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Ricky likes this.
  5. Ricky Active Member

Italy
    Hi Paul, yes there is an armature made with brass wire. Alternatively I use copper tubes for more complex movements to allow cutting and alignment of parts in case of modification. I'm sorry I have no photos of that step
    DaddyO likes this.
  6. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    I have two of these wonderfull figure! Thansk sharing us the step by step !
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see your approach to sculpting Ricky, beautiful work on the relief patterns on the chariot, looking forward to your horse SBS.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Ricky likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ricky

Thanks so much for posting this the stages are well shown ..the result a cracking sculpt

Be interested how you did the wheels and those feathers on the horses and how you approach the figures on the actual chariot

Can we see more pics of the details work on the chariot if poss

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Totally, utterly superb.
    Ricky likes this.
  10. Ricky Active Member

Italy
    Thanks all for feedbacks, I appreciate.
    Nap coming to your questions, I have prepared an additional page to be included in the tutorial for the wheel construction.
    If I understood correctly you want to know how I put the figure and the chariot together,well I have spent some time to verify the size of the chariot, and then I put the sculpted figure inside it to define the pose, once decided I applied joints between feet and chariot floor.
    The feathers were made one side at a time, the first side was modeled on a rigid surface. Once dry, I reduced the thickness and modeled the second side
    I'm sorry I've been stupid and I haven't made enough photo of the sculpting process, I hope this is clear enough
    Etruscan Chariot page3b.jpg
    Etrusco Biga  2.JPG
    Etrusco Biga  7.JPG
  11. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    On the SBS for the chariot you said that whereas you'd normally fabricate it out of styrene/plasticard, as this was for commercial use you used putty.

Just wondered what your thinking was here (is it to do with mould making?)
  12. Ricky Active Member

Italy

I'm sorry, Neil I missed telling some pieces. Yes, you're right, it's related to the construction of molds. I should say that I use plasticard for all pieces that do not require casting. Otherwise, if there is a possibility that the kit is cast in metal, the rubber mold is too hot for the plasticard. Hope this answer to you question.
    NeilW likes this.