1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Essence of Bat

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Calvin Member

Sometimes I like to cut it up to the essence. There are so many beautiful renditions of him, some even a bit baroque, but I get charmed by this drawing, so dark and so essential, only few lines and some shadows to define a character.

That is my attempt, do not know if I have cutted and summarized too much, but trying with new things is what I most like. A bit cartonized too, but that is by design.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Calvin Member

two more

[IMG]

[IMG]

and that to show you the overall size, 1/10 scale aprox.

[IMG]

Feel free to comment and critique as you prefer.
  3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Luca,
    Very very cool looking bust!
    Definitely like the look of it. So different from any others I've seen
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Craig
  4. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    :eek:
    coooollll!
    in full light he has the look of the 'dark knight' . what strikes me is that, painted, you could reder him as no more than a shadowy outline just as any truobled hero would appear at night!! a nice scale too. stylizing is expressive and popular too, you should do an ultimate spidey next or better, Venomn!

top bombing mate! == timo
  5. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    You're crazy my friend,

but dont change :) we need peoples like you who's think "out" !!!!!

JP
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Absolutely brilliant and amazing . I like it a lot
  7. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Ciao Luca Complimenti bel lavoro
    mi piace molto l'atteggiamento
    e l'attenzione minimale che gli hai dato ..Bravo !

MAB
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,

This is a great sculpt. I hope someone can paint it like in the black and white picture's. Put it in a small shadow box, and i think the effect is there.
    Great.

Marc
  9. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Luca my friend fantastic!!!!!
    cannot wait to see it finished!!!!
    You always surprise us!!!!
  10. Frank-Holger Member

Luca, this is the best Batman I have ever seen (besides that cloaked figure standing at the grave of his parents). Wow, what to say? The Rendering of the sculpt is fantastic, it seems, that he is only made from lights and shadows. Even the Base looks perfect. This is true Imagination and what character could be better for such a sculpt like Batman himself?

Impressing!!

Frank
  11. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hi Luca,
    very good sculpture and interesting subject.

best regards
    Artur
  12. Lubitch Member

Poland
    Luca,
    This is a very interesting way you show the Batman !
    Outstanding sculpt ! :)

regards

Wojciech Lubicz-Lapinski
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very original and marvelous sculpting!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really, really cool! I love the simple lines. I think you really succeeded in capturing the form in three dimentions with a minimum of shapes. I really like the cloak on his shoulder draped in the shape of a bat. I also like the base this time. The tension of all the cracks and bats scurrying across it against the smoothness of the figure really help exagurate the simplicity of the figure. I like to call it, tension-relaxation. The use of the two together can be very powerful.

I recognise the Dante pedistal under there. You get better with every sculpt my friend. Keep up the creativity, we love it! VERY nice stuff!

Jay H.
    OKC
  15. Calvin Member

Thanks you all, I appreciate every of your comments.

Frank, I am glad you like it, but there are some really outstanding rendition of him out there, mine is just a sketch to experiment with a different style. I am happy you appreciate the result ;)

I do not know so much about comics characters, but for what I see Venom could be an interesting one...

About painting it, I saw a Ninja rendition some time ago, it was painted to emphasize the dark/night effect, but I cannot remeber where, so if someone can help me pointing out the location or any advice/example I will be very glad.
  16. Calvin Member

Yeah, also know as the bomb near to explode under the apparent cloak of calm... :lol:

I am glad you noticed the little cracks on the pedestal, its meaning is exactly what you pointed out. Yes it is the Dante pedestal, the torso comes from the little Indian.
  17. Calvin Member

Now it is really finished, casted in very light gray resin. I will try to paint it only using white and some dark colour.

[IMG]

[IMG]

and some more clear shot

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic sculpting Luca................awesome work.
  19. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Very unique and original, Luca. I like it.

John
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Try contact Mike Blank. He is a master in painting black and white.

marc