1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ensign of the Buffs completed

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by amherbert, May 20, 2004.

1. amherbert Member

Hi

Here's a link to pictures of my recently completed photo.

My Webpage

I'm not sure of the drill here, should I link directly to the pics or just let you surf my page?

Anyway, the figure was a royal pain, but the result was satisfying. It's a Soldiers figure, sculpted by Randall Patton. There are some fit issues (every piece needed gap filling to fit), but the result is action-packed.

Comments, criticism, etc. welcomed!

He's painted in acrylics.

Cheers
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Very well done Andy.....your reds look beautiful and not over highlighted. I feel for you with the flag.....you did an excellent job on it. (y)
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Andy, great job. Looks very good.
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Andy-

Looks like "fun" :lol:

Are you working in acrylics exclusively now?

Keith
  5. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Andy,

Very well done. The flag really jumps out at you. I bought this guy myself a while back but have never seen one painted. I hope mine turns out as well as yours.
  6. amherbert Member

Thanks guys!

The lighting is a little dim in those pictures, sorry about that. I'll post better pics some day!

The flag was lots of 'fun'. I must admit that after hours of painstaking work I realized I painted a Union Flag that would not 'unfurl' into a recognizable pattern! Oops! :eek: My excuse is that it's hard to see how the flag is rolled up. The sculpting is rather vague on the actual borders of the flag. It certainly looks like a furled flag, which was good enough for me!

Keith
    I use acrylics most of the time now. I'm thinking of doing another figure in oils for a change (when the figure bug bit me, I started with oils and moved to acrylics, but I still have the oils). I only have time to paint in short bursts, and I find acrylics work well for that.

Mike
    It's a nice figure with the following 'issues':
    The pegs on the arms will result in positioning that won't work out. The gloved hands are cast onto the flag, as you probably know, so the arms have to be positioned just right. I found the fit of the torso to the legs was dreadful. The separate legs were epoxied, then I had to carve the top of that assembly to get decent fit. I used milliput there, and resculpted the lower edge of the sash. The lace on the front meant I had to paint the jacket with the arms off. I got carried away, and had the whole thing painted with the arms, flag and hat as separate pieces. Of course all my dry-fiiting did NOT pay off :angry: , and I had to do some work on the shoulders to get the arms positioned nicely. And there's a great big seam running through the middle of the lace on the coat. Its' low down and you can't really see it when the figure's done. I was pretty much fed up, and had set the figure aside for about a month before I finished him. I had the idea there was a lot left to do, because I had gotten quite frustrated with the figure. Turns out I bailed just before the home stretch! I got him finished off easily in the end. I have heard that there are engineering problems on some Soldiers kits. That's certainly the case here! The high action pose is a problem of course.

The pay off is good. I really like how he turned out, despite the aggravation and some little details that need work (and skills I need to develop!! :p

Cheers
    Andy

PS How's the Texas heat Bob?