1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

English Holidaymaker

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by david pickford, Jan 14, 2015.

1. david pickford Active Member

Hello Gents- I've started sculpting work on a little vignette. An English Holidaymaker abroad.
    He's strutting his stuff for the local beauties- He's serving at beach tennis. The girls are very impressed!
    This project will present many painting challenges- sunburnt skin, union jack shorts, tatoos. Should be fun!
    holidaymaker1.jpg holidaymaker2.jpg holidaymaker3.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi David

This is great ...obviously you have seen pics of me in my beach attire...complete with stomach ......

Always one for the ladies me

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Sunburnt skin,Union Jack shorts & tattoos what scheme are you thinking about for the male!!!

Seriously a great idea David. Looking forward to the end result.

Peter.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The man-boobs look OK, but the beer belly is not accurate.

All my reference photos show that it should be larger.

That minor quibble aside - brilliant!
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. Blunderbus Active Member

United-States
    Based on the position of the gentleman's shorts I would expect a rather substantial vertical smile on the rear side of this sculpt.:)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. david pickford Active Member

Thanks gents, many of us can identify with the self conscious first day on hols when we expose our pale, less than toned bods for the first time - but some don't care!
    Babel- don't forget he's holding his paunch in!
    Blunderbuss- the shorts have been sculpted 'low slung' to show his builders bottie to best advantage. I think of everything!
  7. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Like it mate. Will be looking forward to seeing more.
  8. david pickford Active Member

More work on the holidaymaker. After 6 lagers he thinks he's Roger Federer.
    He isn't.
    IMG_3668.jpg IMG_3667.jpg IMG_3666.jpg IMG_3664.jpg
  9. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Looks like Buster Bloodvessel !!!

Following with interest.

Peter
  10. david pickford Active Member

more work on the holiday maker, mainly groundwork. The beach sand is Milliput standard impressed with the end of a clay shaper, the towel is milliput superfine white, ( I like that for making sheets of putty due to its strength) and the figs are Magicsculp.
    IMG_3669.JPG IMG_3670.jpg IMG_3671.jpg IMG_3672.jpg IMG_3673.jpg
    NickM, ChaosCossack, arj and 3 others like this.
  11. david pickford Active Member

Details - left to right- iPhone, 'chick lit' novel, sun cream bottle...
    IMG_3674.JPG
  12. david pickford Active Member

Sculpting done! I'm going to leave the girls right hands to the end to allow painting access...

IMG_3678.jpg IMG_3681.jpg IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3683.jpg IMG_3684.jpg IMG_3685.jpg
    NickM, ChaosCossack, arj and 4 others like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    David ,

This is great and what the hobby is all about fun.......can't wait to see this painted

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Bootneck likes this.
  14. david pickford Active Member

Not a long wait Nap. I've started on 'the hero ' of this scene...
    IMG_3686.jpg IMG_3687.jpg IMG_3688.jpg
    Kisifer, NickM, arj and 7 others like this.
  15. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi David.
    That looks fantastic, well done. He gave me a genuine laugh & smile & as Kevin said "that is what the hobby is all about" He is a true football fan. I even like your choice of football team you have tattooed on his chest.(wish my team were in their league position though)

Still following with interest.

Peter.
  16. david pickford Active Member

Glad it raised a laugh Peter- that's the idea! a new genre maybe- 'comic modelling'
    I actually started on one of his female admirers today too. She's thinking 'OH MY GOD!'
    IMG_3696.jpg
  17. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work David!

Great sculpts, and the paintwork is just superb, especially on the would be tennis pro.

Bloody awesome mate!

Cheer's,
    Jef.
  18. david pickford Active Member

thanks jef- I'm pleased if anyone says anything nice about my technical skills- painting or sculpting, I know I"m not the best at either, but I don't worry, because I have learned enough to realise my own ideas- and that to me is the point.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant David.:D
  20. david pickford Active Member

Cheers Carl! I've offered to do a bit of sculpting at the Bolton show next weekend, so maybe I will bring this along as a WIP...