1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP English Archer, 15th Century

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sven, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,

this fantastic bust by Medieval Forge Miniatures is currently under my brushes.
    I struggled a lot with the paint scheme and eventually had to strip the entire upper body from its paint - something I have never done before. By the way, the TAMIYA-CARSON paint killer works pretty well and is recommended.

I ended up painting this fellow an English longbow archer, very much like the boxart suggests. His head is not yet attached to the body and I haven't decided on the color of his arms.
    I hope you like what you see so far.

Greetings from Berlin
    Sven
    IMG_E3638.JPG IMG_E3642.JPG IMG_E3645.JPG
    Andrew Belsey, Martin64, Oda and 7 others like this.
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Looking good so far Sven. Certainly looks like a quality piece from MFM.

Phil
    Sven and Oda like this.
  3. misfit151 A Fixture

Great looking start Even....(y). Mike
    Sven and Oda like this.
  4. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Splendid start Sven.
    Sven and Oda like this.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Great start Sven. A super piece from MFM.

Neal
    Sven and Oda like this.
  6. Medieval Forge Miniatures A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Fine!! Looking forward to continuing!! (y)
    Sven and Oda like this.
  7. Giwe Well-Known Member

Germany
    Great work so far!
    Sven likes this.
  8. nig-g Active Member

A great figure from MFM and great painting by Sven. I can only dream of ever painting to this standard.
    A word about representing jacks. I seem to remember a fellow member, who if memory serves me correctly was also a re-enactor pointed out that contrary to what you might expect the seams on a jack remain clean while the actual padded pockets get dirty. I suppose when you think about it it is the actual padded pockets that rub against equipment, armour etc and take general wear and tear, while the seams remain protected. The attached photos give a good idea of this effect. When I read those earlier comments I had to admit to myself that I had been painting jacks incorrectly and had to change my approach on subsequent models. I shall certainly bear this in mind as I paint my War of the Roses man at arms (see separate WIP).
    Please….this is not meant as any criticism of the way Sven paints but just goes to highlight (I know…dreadful pun!) a common misconception.

D98500C8-6625-4F87-8F3F-84693C4F8B3F.jpeg 7F3325D9-2B61-429E-8D21-7E2B3C71141E.jpeg 41435BB9-A4A1-40B7-8A85-C5141EAB35F3.jpeg
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    That face is looking really good!
    Sven likes this.
  10. Sven A Fixture

Hi nig-g,
    I have never thought about this, but I think you are totally right. It appears to be quite logical that the seams remain clean while the padded pockets get dirty. Astonishing.
    I will not repaint his jack, however. I think this is one of the rare moments when painting reality does not look real - if this make any sense. Thank you for your interesting comment nonetheless.
    Cheers,
    Sven
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Sven x Sven= Excellent looking piece so far, always liked this piece, keep up the good work.....

Wayne