1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

End of an era. Ray Harryhausen gone.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by renarts, May 7, 2013.

1. renarts Active Member

United-States
    RIP Ray Harryhausen,
    You fed my nightmares and fueled my wildest dreams. You took us on adventures and you, yes you sir released the Kraken. Your talent will be missed, your imagination will fan the fires of creativity and your legacy is immortal.

crf likes this.
  2. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    It's a sad day. I loved the movies he worked on when I was a kid and still do. His creations had a life to them that can't be matched by cgi. His work will live on.
    Gerald
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Yes
    Great remembering; the battle with the Skeletons in Jason
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Oh no, its the first I have heard of this. I met him 10 or so years ago at a Harryhausen movie review where he did a talk and had some of his original armatures etc there to see. Fascinating stuff for its time
    Ben
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As a kid those skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts scared the shit out of me. Happy to say I've lost my fear of them these days and it's replaced by amazement at the creative talent of Ray RIP
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    For me it was the come to life Colossus statue...had nightmares about trying to escape getting stomped by that big bronze for a few years after seeing the film as a kid.

Colin
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    You guys are too young. For me, it was "Mighty Joe Young", "20 Million Miles to Earth" and "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". But yes, Jason, and the Titans, are classics, too. I think a lot of folks don't understand what special effects were like, before computer generation. He was a titan in his own right.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Ah yes, the copyrght iguanas fighting in a diorama with fans glued to their backs :)

Colin
  9. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    I was lucky enough to meet Ray while working at Chiodo Bros while working on "Elf" and a stop motion Christmas special for the "Simpsons". He had a very quiet gentle manner. He also had one of the firmest handshakes I have ever encountered. He had amazingly strong hands for a man his age. He did not just shake my hand and move on. He took the time to ask me about what I was working on. Which at that moment was a manger set for the Simpsons California Prunes Christmas special. I was sculpting it to look as it was made out of clay, but it was actually made out of plexiglass and Magic Sculpt.

We also talked about the Snowman puppet I was touching up for a shot for Elf. It was a brief, but very satisfying experience for me. To meet a legend and one of the men who inspired me to work in the film industry, and here I was talking shop with him. He wandered out to the shop a number of times to watch us work. Before going off to do ADR with Stephen. He was supposed to be the voice of the Narwal whale in Elf. I am not sure if it is his voice in the finished film. It was a brief moment, and one I will always cherish.
    Rest in peace Ray it was a pleasure to meet you.
    renarts likes this.