1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Enamel Paint Mediums

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by dfmoss, Aug 31, 2016.

1. dfmoss Member

United-States
    Anyone else use any sort of mediums in their enamel paints?

I recently started using more enamels and oils after several years of using acrylics (still use acrylics, not dropping them, just diversifying).

One problem I have had is that the enamels get thick and gooey on the palette while mixing and painting. I bought some Winsor & Newton Oil Painting medium and that helped a good bit. I also got some oil of cloves and add a drop or two to the paint bottle/tin to slow drying.

I have only just started this procedure and will let y'all know how it goes. Anyone else doing this type of thing?

Don
    Scotty likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I undercoat sometimes with enamels.
    Pick up some paint from the bottem of the jar.
    Thin it up with White Spirit.
    Maybe drop BenNl een pb. He paint his figures all over with enamels.

Marc
    dfmoss and Mirofsoft like this.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I usually prime with Halfords primer, then undercoat with Vallejo acrylics. Top coat detailing is then done with Humbrol enamals and Winsor and Newton or Reeves oils. The acrylic undercoat usually soaks up excess oil. I do not use any other media with the oils.

Mike
    dfmoss likes this.
  4. dfmoss Member

United-States
    Ok, so adding clove oil is something you have to be very careful with! I put too much and changed the ability of the paint to cover well. No more of that!

Don
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I used enamels for years and only ever used White Spirit for thinning and brush cleaning. You can add a tiny drop into the paint if it starts to thicken, then stir thoroughly - hope this helps(y)