1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Embroidery - Samurai

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Jun 7, 2004.

1. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi all - here are my latest progress pics - and Questions!!
    How do you approach work like embroidery?
    What techniques and paints do you all use - I'm sure we would all benefit from an exchange of ideas along these lines.
    Carpo

Attached Files:

2. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Very Nice indeed.

By embroidery you mean like on his sleeve?

I usually use the same method I use for large areas. I start however by painting the shape in the darkest shadow color, then build up to the highlights with the subsequently lighter shades until the item looks three dimensional.
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Paul-

Just beautiful! :) Is this in oils?

Keith
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Paul.............excellent detail!
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thats awesome! Gotta love these Samurai subjects.
  6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Paul,just AWESOME (y) (y) !! Do keep up the good work ! Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  7. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi again - thanks for the feed back.
    I do most of my work in oils - I prefer the fast drying W&N range.
    For finer details I use inks and have recently discovered Gouache.
    Anyone else using this stuff? I had an ink that performed in the same manner as gouache and will be buying many more colours of this type in the future.
    Anyone using acrylics would soon come to terms with it I am sure.
    Carpo
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Paul-

Wouild you pls explain about the inks? I use printers inks but I suspect this is something else. I am very intrigued as your results speak for themselves.

Keith
  9. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi Keith,
    Gouache (I think I am spelling it correctly) can be obtained in any art store.
    It is a waterbased paint - very opaque - which can be reconstituted at any time by simply adding water. You can paint on a shape and let it dry - come back at it with a wet brush and feather out the edge to create tonal effects. It is a pure pigment like artist's oils so fading isn't a problem and opacity can be very good too.
    If you make a mistake, you can wash it away and start again! Perfect when doing fine work.
    Sealed with a coat of dull lacquer it is waterproof - so you can protect your work and work more effects over the top.
    I have used inks in a similar manner - but most inks set and are immovable.
    Hope that helps!
    Carpo
  10. pkess Member

I have tried gouaches. They dry perfectly matte and are used by many commercial illustrators. They are not permanent and are pretty grainy, which I found to be a major problems on figures. Pelikan Plakas are casein paints, whcih are very similar to gouaches but dry more permanently. Since I don't like to use overcoats, I gave up on gouaches. I think the Vallejo and Andrea acryllics are better suited for figure painting.
  11. brentonrj New Member

Hi Paul,

Your brush work is coming along very nicely. I only hope I get to see this little gem in the flesh at next years model expo in Melbourne?

When is the Adelaide expo each year? I'm in Sydney but would be interested in visiting sometime.

Keep up the good work!
    Cheers
  12. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Hi Paul,

Great work on the Samurai. Best wishes from Western Australia, Bunbury.

Keep up the good work and hopefully we will be able to catch up at some point like Brenton said.

Cheers
    Franco :)
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Paul, very nice work,beautifully painted so far. (y)

kep up the good work.

Roc. :)