1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Ellies Miniatures Naval Brigade figure

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Richie, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    All though I have not been productive at all this year, it has not stopped me purchasing figures. Here is another I recently got from Ian at Ellies Miniatures. It's always nice to see figures representing the Senior Service and I really liked this one. Again it will be turned into an 1879 Zulu war Naval Brigade figure with a change of head wear.

The figure came well packed in a sturdy box protected internally with bubble wrap and the usual Ellie's Miniatures sleeve. Sorry I cannot show this I discarded the packaging a couple of weeks ago.

Naval Brigade EM.jpg

Here are the photo's of the entire kit.
    What initially attracted me to this kit was the old salty face, very nicely sculpted. I also liked the relaxed pose with the weight shifted to one side.
    I must say Diego has sculpted some lovely detail into the piece, the bandolier, buckles, snake belt clasp etc in 75mm scale are just superb.

EM4.JPG
    EM3.JPG
    EM1.JPG EM2.JPG EM5.JPG EM6.JPG

In conclusion, lots of scope to paint different colour variants on this lovely sculpt. Really nice to see the Naval Brigade represented and Diego Fortes has done a first class job on him, well done Diego and good luck with this Ian / Ellie's Miniatures.
    cheers
    Richie
    Mat Lambert, Dewi Evans, Trex and 8 others like this.
  2. MrBMB A Fixture

From what I can see his face looks very good
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Richie thank you for a great review very happy you like it mate. MrBMB I can say that the face is very good indeed having been casting him the face is a joy to look at and Diego has done very well indeed with it.

Cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Mat Lambert and anstontyke like this.
  4. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff Richie. Full of character and a great subject.
    Gordon
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the review Richie. I have this one as the newest member of my GGA. Hope you post your progress as you go along, especially the change of headgear as the same idea occurred to me.
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Michael,
    I should start the conversion to the head in the next couple of days, so I'll show you what I have done. Just been working on Hawk Miniatures Royal Artillery figure, already primed and ready for painting and a little 54mm vignette of my own.
    cheers
    Richie
    Dewi Evans and anstontyke like this.
  7. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Thanks a lot Richie, for the kind words! :)
    Are you going to put the wide brimmed straw hat? That is a quite cool option.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Diego,
    No need to thank me it's a lovely figure mate and speaks for itself.
    That would be my preferred option too, so yes it will be the sennet hat. It will be in a similar style to the one I done in 120mm. Just need to make sure I compliment your top draw work.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
    Naval 3.JPG
  9. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Don't want to high jack this thread, I am definitely buying this figure at Euro and Ian has one aside for me but I have just seen what I hope is a complimentary figure buy Hawk of a 1880 sailor in the same 75mm scale. Dressed all in blues and land based. Alan Ball is the sculptor.

Hope you don't mind me drawing attention Ian.buy you a coffee on Saturday mate.
    Well done guys
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Peter I saw that one a couple of weeks ago on FB very nice job, Alan did would complement our figure, Ho Coffee please Milk no sugar I'm sweet enough so my good lady says lol

cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Bootneck likes this.
  11. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good review Richie and as I've said before nice figure Ian. Is the box art for this one around yet?
    Cheers
    Mat
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mat,
    Thank you, I'm sure Ian has him out to paint, so the box art should not be too far away.
    Here is the change I made to mine with the sennet hat.
    cheers
    Richie
    NB1.JPG NB2.JPG
    Dewi Evans and Bootneck like this.