1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Elite Miniaturas

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guayo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Guayo New Member

The good Friend Daniel Serrado just post this great News on the Lilliputmodel Forum.

BS/70.22 Lansquenet C. 1520
    Designed by YOUNG B. SONG
    Painted by PEPE GALLARDO
    70mm White Metal

[IMG][IMG]

This is a great Landsknecht Handgunner, top of my wish list for the moment,

Saludos

Eduardo
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful figure, I also want one.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It looks familiar. Does the Time Machine make a 54 handgunner like this? Not my type of subject, but I love the open jacket and fallen hose.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful painting Pepe.............I'll have to add this one to your gallery.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Also announced from Elite is a figure by Anton Vogin which will be released in the near future.

Medieval Horseman of Northern Europe with Standard

Attached Files:

6. dario966 New Member

hello to all
    having recently completed some research into the landsknecht history (for a set of illustrations on the very subject for Mr. Sikora's book to be released this month by Infort Editions in Poland ) I welcome this figure,as it is attempting to portray one of those bombastic ruffians who nevertherless were flamboyant, curageous and fearsome while almost equally as brave as willing to plunder, pillage and live off the war.
    ..well, as this figure does look appealing in this painting job (although I do not like the color choice for some of the gatrments), it has some strangely looking weaponry collection, while the clothing and clothing colors are everyones choice as per old Roman saying... "de gustibus non disputandum est."
    first, in my humble opinion the figure is almost directly taken out of the book by Mr.Embleton "Medieval Military Costume Recreated in Colour Photographs," especially pages 89 and 91.

And in there, on page 91 the figure -almost identical save for the jacket and hat- has a sword at his belt - almost exactly copied by Mr.Song. And there lies the mistake - the sword of this miniature is sculpted with the long handle(hilt) of the hand-and-a-half (bastard) sword - , truly worn in such fashion mostly by the Swiss and perhaps landskenchts as well (as Mr.Embleton states). But ... Mr. Song made this sword's (blade) short - like a typical landsknecht short, double-edged Katzbalger or 'cat-mangler, ' easily recognizable because of the fantastic quillons - most often s-shaped and large and flat pommel etc.
    Secondly - if the miniature is to show a landsknecht of the 1520s - of the in-famous 'sacco di Roma' and battle of Pavia times, then his firearm is a curious type - clearly a matchlock arquebus but the firing mechanism (very unusal kind) belongs more to the last quarter of the 15th century then the 1520s , especially of the German type butt did get kind of stocky and short (firing mechanism is shown on page 70 of the siad book).
    as per short jacket - Mr.Embleton writes that the reenactments tended to prove the prints in that when jacket is unfastened those slashed short jackets' sleeves, being heavy, tend to pull the jacket off the shoulders - something one may find very inconviniet even when striking a pose, not ot mention marching or fighting. In this sculpture it does not appear that the unfastened jacket causes or becomes any burden for the wearer...
    I wonder if he has any dagger - something also very typical of the times and type of soldier, but cannot be deducted from these pictures...
    probably all these faults can be corrected - how easily, quickly or precisely, I am not sure as at the present I do not know how - maybe one day :)
    Dario

ps
    Finally, for those interested check this set of prints from 1500s, where you find more than a hundred soldiers and equipment depicted:
    http://hss.ulb.uni-bonn.de/ulb_bonn/diss_o...t_von/teil2.pdf
  7. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    For sure this one is a nice miniature and Pepe's painting has made it even more attracting . Thats all that matters for me !!!!
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

Well, if everything historic correct or not, i most have this Landsknecht.
    In my short figure painting time it is the fourth figure of Pepe's painted figure's that i bought.

The second figure is on my wish list. Yes, the list is becoming longer and longer and longe... and lon...

Marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    lol.........I've gone from a "wish list" to a "wish book"
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes Guy,

That's the solution. The roll wallpaper is to short :lol: :lol: :lol:

marc
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Are there more on line references for this type of figure?

Thanks,
    Jim Patrick
  12. Calvin Member

All the painting renditions by Pepe are beyond the human scope..., anyway for those who knows Pepe in person, is undoubted that there is a certain resemblance between him and the face of this beautiful sculpt, take a look here... :lol:
    Really a beautiful work.

Attached Files:

13. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Luca Thanks for the close up
    Pepe is one of the best no doubt !!!!!
  14. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful painting by Pepe (as usual... :lol: )

Keith
  15. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    What a magnificent paintjob!

It makes me depressed! :( Who wants to buy my brushes?? :lol:

Eddy.
  16. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    John:

I thought the same. TM has a lovely little 54mm German/Swiss handgunner in a similar pose. However, past that the detailing is very different.
  17. Guayo New Member

I like your Historical insides Dario, the book you mention, would be publish only in Poland?

I think we would have to make the Powder horns or a brass powder flask, I don't see it. but with out it, this is my favorite representation of a Landsknecht Handgunner, from the hands of two great artists.

Muy buena figura para Navidad, si señor¡¡¡¡¡

Saludos

Eduardo
  18. Guayo New Member

John and PAUL, this is the figure from Time Machine, another dangerous looking guy, but prefer the Elite version.

[IMG]
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Both are well sculpted. The gunner does look like the Time Machine figure. The figure carrying the standard looks exceptional.~Gary

P.S. Dario, Thanks for the historical commentary and the link.
  20. dario966 New Member

Hello Gary,
    you are quite welcome, in my opinion that file link is jusr fabulous, especially when combined with some Ospreys on the subject :)

hola Eduardo,
    you are quite right about his equipment - for a gunner our man is missing a powder container -flask, horn etc, and some bag for bullets ... the one depicted in the book is a pikeman . So some conversion/repair and a pefect figure will be ..just in time for Navidades :)

.and the book I mentioned may have its English edition next year, it is in the works so to speak :). But it deals with later period - the very end of the German landsknechts - 1570s - and the city of Gdansk (Danzig) war with the King Bathory
    Dario