1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Elf Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark Yungblut, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    [WIP] Elf Bust

Hello all,

I have had this bust for quite a few years and decided to test the Sotar 20/20 airbrush I bought from a friend on the flesh tones. I am using the Andrea flesh system of acrylics and so far I am quite pleased.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The hole in the hair is a space for a horn which I chose to omit so it'll be filled tonight with putty and re-sculpted as will the rest of the hair.

[IMG]

I want a distinct contrast between the texture of the flesh tones and the rest of the piece. I plan to paint the rest with oils over acrylics. I am looking forward to working the three or four different leather textures this bust has sculpted into it. I also plan to use real gem stones that I have left over from my days as a jeweler, on the brooch.

Cheers,

Mark
    Pepa, Centaur, Marcel and 1 other person like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello,

what a lovely lady.
    I like very much the fleshtones. Thanks for posting(y)
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    GReat brushwork.
    Gonna try that someday....but i'm a coward when using the spray...

marc
  4. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Thanks so much!

I gotta say that the new flesh tone kits available from Andrea and Vallejo really do make it easy when you are airbrushing. the trick like in hand painting is thinning the paint when you spray and adding transulcent layers. it just happens a little faster with the airbrush. The nice thing about the airbrush is the paint layers are so thin that you can go back and correct very easily. particularly if you use the graduated tones that come in the Flesh paint set.

Cheers,

Mark
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful bit of work, really like the subtle transitions in the flesh tones. Those eyes are very well done. Look forwards to seeing some more.
    Carl.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, great painting up to now and what a stunning bust. Looking forward to see how this turns out and will follow this with interest.

Cheers Ken
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    The eyes have it. . .

On the mark, Mark. I really like what you wrote as your ideas for what to do
    on this really lovely little lady. The rendering of the eyes are just beautiful,
    and make her so engaging and give her so much charm. I agree that I see
    contrasting colors for the other parts that are not flesh tones. Eager to see
    more WIP photos of this little lady. (y) (y) (y)

Kansas Kid
  8. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Here is a little update. I have blocked in the base colors for the piece with Humbrol colors. Next step is to start hitting this with some oils this weekend.
    [IMG]

This view also shows the finished base for this piece.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,

Mark
  9. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Absolutly beautiful !!!

(y) (y) (y)
  10. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    I'm falling in love with her :eek:..extremely beautiful (y)

stefano
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks great, even without the oils.
    Carl.
  12. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Here is an update. The bust is nearly (95%) finished. I've been playing with textures and levels of flat to gloss within the figure. I am keeping a slight sheen to the leather areas and dead flat on fabric. The gemstones are all real (saphires, rubies, emeralds and pearls) left over from my jewelry making days. So just some washes metal work and touch ups left to be done.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,

Mark

For those whom might be interested here is some of my custom jewelry work http://cid-729647eeebfaa40a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Jewelry
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, superb painting on an exquisite little bust, I like the jewelry touch and the great looking base. (y)

Cheers Ken
  14. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    very pretty figure and the basing really sets her off mate -

ian