1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

El Rey - Finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    In an earlier post, I introduced this character, a Mexican gangster from my two son's graphic novel work-in-progress. In the earlier post, I gave you some links to their online graphic novel. Here they are again -shameless plug!

http://www.jonnycrossbones.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159
    http://www.lowkeycomics.com/

And here's the figure - 120mm in Magic Sculpt with a resin head and hands. One hand has been heavily re-sculpted to fit. And as far as the head goes.
    The head I started with is the last picture...and the final result is the first one. The pattern on the boots, belt and hat band is meant to be rattlesnake leather. Can you see the rattle inserted into the side of the hat band? Check out the skull on the belt buckle. The rattlesnake pattern is not to scale, but whathehey? I thought it was a nice touch and, as someone pointed out, with a comic book character it can't be 'over the top'! :) Should present an interesting challenge for a painter.

Hope you like it! As always comment and constructive critique welcome!

And speaking of painters - I'm looking for someone who'd like to paint this for my sons and collaborate on other pieces.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Well done

Hi Dan
    The figure has come out great it will be a beauty when painted up, well done. Keep plugging your son’s artwork. Artists need all the exposure they can get.
    Pete
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Pete!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    OK - Maybe he's not done after all. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that has a pretty good eye and enough art training to see my mistakes! Her complaint was that the middle of the figure just looked wrong. The measurements are all OK, so it's just what it looks like to the eye - just as or more important of course! So - I've removed the belt completely and will be re-doing the middle of the figure. I noticed the pelvis seems tilted out - which certainly was unintentional and wrong, so I've already reduced that some. I'll either remove this post completely and start all over with a new one or make changes and add new pics when the revisions are done.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. galdino New Member

Brazil
    Nice work, Dan.
    How did you work the hat?
    A sugestion for your son is to make an graphic novel with brazilian caracters (amazon stuff)!
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Galdino!

The flat part of the hat is thick lead sheet which has been sanded a LOT to some degree of roundness and "softness". My problem with lead sheet in such situations is that it can be made to look like leather and maybe other similar harder materials - but to my eyes at least - it never seems to look right for clothing or whatever. It's meant to be a stiff brim cowboy hat, so the lead sheet sorta works. I'm still not a big fan of the stuff. The rest of the hat is Magic Sculpt put on in three stages - crown, rattlesnake band, rattlesnake rattle. Thanks for askin'!

General progress report - I've removed the front middle of the figure from above the waist down to below the pelvis and to a depth of about 2 mm or so. I've also removed the flexed interior pants leg to a similar depth. I'm going to re-do the drapery of the pants - hopefully I can get it right this time. On the middle, I'm going to first put on a very thin layer of MS and sculpt the lines between trousers and shirt. Then I'm going to put on the bottom part of the vest. I still can't believe I completely forgot that initially. That was the "straw" for me! Then I'll put on the belt and work on draping it correctly. Then belt loops, etc., etc. to finish. All this weekend, I hope!

All the best,
    Dan