1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP El Greco Hoplites - 200mm Busts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by phil_h, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

Nice SBS on wet on wet oils
    phil_h likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Phil

Glad to hear you are wearing big boy trousers ...lol

WOW!!!! a great pictures and explanation = a great SBS ....I am keeping this for my files

Those golden certainly look smooth ..have you just used them as a base for oils or have you used as normal ?

Love the eyes ( the busts not yours !! )

Following right next to you on this

Nap
    phil_h likes this.
  3. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice work Phil, you're moving through this kit pretty fast.

Mike
    phil_h likes this.
  4. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Wayne - glad your enjoying the SBS. And yes... I do now wish I went to art school instead of music school ;)
    Although to be far, while at music school, I did study art for several years...
  5. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks for the kind words and following along Nap!! I'm so glad you're enjoying the SBS so far!
    Regarding the Golden Acrylics - I use them for everything. The samurai I finished a couple of weeks ago was exclusively painted with them. I love them and would recommend you start using them ASAP :)
  6. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike!
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised at how fast these started coming together...
  7. DeanM Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello Phil

Thanks for this SBS, which I am finding very useful as a relative newbie. I have one question on your use of Golden acrylics. As heavy body paints do you thin or modify them at all, I’m thinking particularly of detail work here?

Dean
    phil_h likes this.
  8. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dean, I'm glad you're finding the SBS useful. Regarding the heavy body paints, for detail work - yes - I'll thin them down a little bit with some water (although it would be less then you think). If it's something that I'm using a particularly small brush for I may add a little Liquitex Slow-Dri to the mix. Otherwise, 95% of the time they're used almost straight out of the tube...

I hope that helps!
    Nap likes this.
  9. DeanM Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply Phil. I will give it a go this weekend on a suitable victim...

Dean
    phil_h likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    phil_h likes this.
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Ah yes, a fellow oiler, lol. I gotta say it, cause I prefer the blending properties of oils myself. I'm an old dog in the fact that I won't be switching to acrylics anytime within this lifetime, HA! Looks like you retained your touch Phil and thx for doing the SBS.

One observation, may have been mentioned already; the grainy texture on the busts appear to be from the primer coat. Is this an oversight or was it not much a concern on this project? I know you said this was kinda like a fun run. Personally, when I see grainy grit on my fig I go ballistic, but that's me Bro.

I like the blending of the flesh tone, and them eyes look great. Funny, eyes still jack me around nowadays, go figure, lol. Ruck On Phil.

Cheers, Ski.
    phil_h likes this.
  12. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Awesome SBS! Beautiful work!

Gary
    phil_h likes this.
  13. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Nap likes this.
  14. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Hey Steve - thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I wasn't too concerned about the grainy texture at all on these guys; it was kinda "let's just see where this all goes..."

Eyes jack me around too - but fortunately, I don't have to include the incredible amount of mistakes I constantly make in my write ups ;)
  15. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much Gary!
  16. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Phil....Echoing other members. I want to thank for all your effort in putting together this informative and detailed SBS. I've been an oil man for 25 yrs and generally happy with my results but its always an inspiration to see how others get the beautiful effects they achieve(y) .
    phil_h likes this.
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work and SBS Phil(y)!

Joe
    phil_h likes this.
  18. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Warm thanks, Phil, for sharing such details about these two projects! They are beetwen my favourite busts too! Great result until now, have inspiration and keep the good work!
    Cheers,
    Nicolae
    phil_h likes this.
  19. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I' m a bit late coming in here but really enjoying your working, I use Oils for faces and have picked up a few tips already.

Many thanks

Geoff
    phil_h likes this.
  20. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. I'm glad you enjoyed the SBS. Oils can be a bit daunting for beginners, and I thought I'd try to take a little mystery out of the process.