1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed EK-Castings 54mm Viking

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

Breaking from the norm for me, I'm going to have two projects on the go, the second of which is a recently purchased Viking from Studio Siberia. A quick look can be seen here. I'm going to be able to combine some of the palette from my other project for this one so thought it would be a good idea to paint them up at the same time. I did some rough sketching with GIMP, which is basically a freeware version of Photoshop, to get my colours sorted out and came up with this:

viking.png

viking2.png

I cleaned up the figure, and that took all of 5 minutes. This has to be the quickest and easiest clean up I've ever done. The metal is also quite easy to work with, diamond files or burrs will make quick work of whatever needs to be removed. I then gave it a coat of Scale75 primer. I normally use Vallejo, but wanted to use the Scale75 as it dries and cures at the same time and dries dead flat.

P2250563.JPG

P2250564.JPG

P2250565.JPG

P2250566.JPG

I had to play with the levels a bit to get the details to show up better. I really am impressed with the level of detail, this should be a fun one to paint, which we'll get to shortly.

Kimmo
    Redcap, KenBoyle and Nap like this.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Kimmo

Good to see your next project and a EK piece as well ..heard lots of good things

Following this with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice idea to use GIMP to experiment with colours (y)

Will look forward to seeing the final result.
  4. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap and Neil!

Neil, I've been using GIMP for quite some time, a very helpful tool during the planning stages.

Got things blocked in yesterday, nothing terribly exciting just yet. I'm of two minds on what to do with the piping on the banner. I like the extra red on the thickness, not sure about the all red straps.

P2270577.JPG

P2270578.JPG

P2270579.JPG

The biggest decision will be whether I go with metallics or NMM. I think that will come down to how well my other project goes as there is quite a bit of metal work to be done there too.

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  5. Kimmo A Fixture

I got a basic bit of shading done today and everything blocked in better. He's starting to look like a Viking now.

P2280590.JPG

P2280591.JPG

P2280592.JPG

P2280593.JPG

There's a wee bit of a sheen from the clear coat I added to protect everything so far, it hadn't fully dried yet. Next is some finer shading and picking out details.

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  6. Kimmo A Fixture

Got some proper shading done and a not too bad NMM attempt. Almost there now, a bit of clean up with the shield and then the chain mail and flag.

P3020595.JPG

P3020596.JPG

P3020597.JPG

P3020594.JPG

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  7. Kimmo A Fixture

Almost there. I need to do a pin wash around the embroidery to get it to stand out a bit more.

P3040609.JPG

P3040610.JPG

P3040611.JPG

P3040612.JPG

P3040613.JPG

Kimmo
    Nap and NeilW like this.
  8. Kimmo A Fixture

I think I'm calling this done.

P3050622.JPG

P3050623.JPG

P3050624.JPG

P3050625.JPG

P3050626.JPG

A fun little project. I'll take some good shots and upload them to the gallery.

Kimmo
    Redcap, Ferris, Steven Freyer and 2 others like this.
  9. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Kimmo

Catching up and obviously missed a lot .....following the pictures through shows the changes well

The final result looks really good and shows what can be achieved with the EK figures

As you say a fun project

Always good to see your modelling

Why not enter a piece into the class of your choice in the new FOTM

There's also the Vignette & Diorama comp we are running

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. Steven Freyer New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kimmo,
    Great figure and lovely colours, If you used Vallejo, would you be able to tell me the colours for the hair, beard and tunic please.

Kind Regards

Steve Freyer
  11. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Steve! Not entirely sure, but I think I used a mix of Deck Tan/Pale Sand with Ivory highlights for the tunic, and probably Sunny Skin Tone and Pale Sand for the hair and beard with washes and filters of oranges and red browns the highlights with Pale Sand and or Ivory. It was a while ago so can't be certain. I tend to use a lot of filters and washes so that just muddies things up. So, unless I keep a track of everything, which I usually don't, I tend to forget what I used except in some specific instances.

Kimmo
    Steven Freyer, Babelfish and Nap like this.
  12. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent work

Mobo
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work there Kimmo. Some of those EK castings pieces are lovely, and they're as cheap as chips. The only thing wrong with them really is that the spears, flagpoles etc. tend to be too thick.

- Steve
    Redcap likes this.
  14. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Mobo and Steve!

Steve, that's the give and take of one piece casting. I can live with it as I like to think of these as "character" pieces.

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  15. Steven Freyer New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank You for your reply Kimmo, points me in the right direction.
    Cheers
    Nap likes this.