1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ek-Castings 54mm trio, hopefully

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, Dec 29, 2021.

1. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Damn good work... the drummer was a challenge but you've pulled it off!

BtW: I've now found refs for plain gold braid... I won't confuse you any more :confused:
  2. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Neil! Small mercy that, I'm having too much fun as it is.

Kimmo
    KenBoyle and NeilW like this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work!!

Agree with Gary's comments on the previous page about these being great VFM. The main down-side to them I find is that the weapons (swords, spears etc.) tend to be a tad on the thick side.

- Steve
  4. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just been on their site and no prices... everything's by enquiry (I've asked for single fig and multiple of 5 prices)
  5. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Steve! The only major downside to these figures is the weaponry, as you say. A bit of give and take considering how they're cast and molded, but I do think it sort of adds a bit of character and old school charm.

Looks like one more session to go. Lots of clean up and refining on both today. A flat coat made life a little easier and also made for less glossy photos. I made a conscious effort to add some reflecting tones on the webbing and metal bits, it may not be terribly noticeable on the photos, but is subtly there and I think it makes a noticeable "invisible" difference.

P1052094.JPG

P1052095.JPG

P1052096.JPG

P1052097.JPG

P1052098.JPG

P1052099.JPG

P1052100.JPG

P1052101.JPG

The heads, hands and bases are the last major bits to do. I envision plenty of light glazes in my immediate future to smooth things out and add some more tones.

Kimmo
    KenBoyle, Redcap and NeilW like this.
  6. Kimmo A Fixture

Other than taking final photos with better lighting, I'm calling these done. Mostly happy with the results. For a first go at Napoleonics, I can't complain too much, although some things could be a bit better but it is time to move along.

P1062102.JPG

P1062103.JPG

P1062104.JPG

P1062105.JPG

P1062106.JPG

P1062107.JPG

P1062108.JPG

P1062109.JPG

P1062110.JPG

P1062111.JPG

And one together, as you can see they are slightly different sizes.

P1062112.JPG

I'll get some good photos taken tomorrow, hopefully and upload a gallery set.

Kimmo
    Andrew Belsey, KenBoyle and Tonton like this.
  7. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done mate and those are cracking little figs.
    Gary
  8. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Gary!

The eyes were bothering me a bit so I tried to fix them up a little. The sculpting here lets you down somewhat, I should have fixed them up when I had the power tool out at the cleaning stage. Still not perfect, but better.

P1072116.JPG

And I was in one of those moods, couldn't decide what I should do, so I started to block in the Viking and gave him a good, thin purple wash. Guess the brushes weren't ready to be put away yet.

P1072113.JPG

P1072114.JPG

P1072115.JPG

Using a very limited palette so far, I tried out some unconventional mixes for the skin tones with the two previous chaps and thought this might be a good time to practice some more mixing and colour theory. I'll have to add a red and Sunny Skin tone at the very least.

P1072117.JPG

The only open question is the colour scheme for the shield and trim on the tunic. There is some mighty fine embroidery on the tunic so it will be a fun task whatever I go with. I'm leaning towards blue and yellow.

Kimmo
  9. Kimmo A Fixture

More progress, still working with the same basic palette but I have brought in the primaries. Inks will have to be used to boost the intensity and add tones, but for now, just having fun mixing away.

P1092118.JPG

P1092119.JPG

P1092120.JPG

P1092121.JPG

Tomorrow the fun starts with getting the NMM sorted out.

Kimmo
    Andrew Belsey likes this.
  10. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful work Kimmo! :)

Cheers,
    Ken
  11. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Ken!

I went and got the basic work done on the metal, then realised I would need to add inks at this stage to build up the contrast and get some better definition. Sepia, Violet and Black were used all over to get some nice tones and continuity.

P1092122.JPG

P1092123.JPG

P1092124.JPG

Next is a rework of the metal, retouching the lost highlights elsewhere and the leather will get done as well.

Kimmo
  12. Kimmo A Fixture

Calling this one done as well. A wee bit of retouching, a flat coat and more retouching. I added a spot of Sun Yellow to boost the yellows, Flat Yellow is just too flat.

P1102126.JPG

P1102127.JPG

P1102128.JPG

P1102129.JPG

P1102130.JPG

A bonus photo of my wet palette at the end of it all, time to invest in a bigger one. You can get so many interesting shades from a few basic colours with just a bit of mixing.

P1102125.JPG

Now I can clean off the brushes, palette and bench, and get some proper photos taken.

Kimmo
  13. Kimmo A Fixture

Gallery photos are now up, click here.

A group shot teaser

18.JPG

Thanks to everyone who followed along and commented.

Kimmo