1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Eduard 1/16 Boris Safonov

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Feb 27, 2010.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nemanja ..... Many thanks :)

Rob ...... Again thank you! :)

I've been fiddling away at this while i've been doing some construction work on other pieces, blocked in the leather work and have atarted to weather it up. Tried to make the 3 items ( belt, holster and gloves ) look similar but slightly different.I have quite a ways to go on them yet :)

the pants still need a few hours of rfining and softening of transitions but they are in the ball park.

Question. Were Soviet aircraft especially dirty? I feel he may need a bit of weathering but i'm assuming most pilots would be pretty tidy and clean.

picture........

[IMG]
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Awesome Mark!
    I loved all figure, but the trousers are superb!!
  3. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I remember first seeing the artistic image of this unnamed guy way back when Mollo first published 'The Armed Forces of WW2'. It was only after Eduard first released their Safonov figure I thought I'd look into Safonov's short and violent career. I could find no photographs of Safonov that connected him to the famous photo used in Mollo's book. Perhaps I'm just new to Soviet history, but the fact is I can find no images that connect Safonov to this outfit and pose. His death was so tragic it deserves to be recorded properly, and if we end up choosing poses and random uniforms from uniform books then we will learn nothing.

Cheers,
    Jon.
  4. Manfred Active Member

Mark, very impressive painting.

The images of Eduard figures I saw before all looked rather flat and like relatively cheap plastic figures so I never bought one.

Safonov flew the I16, an open topped radial engine aircraft. After a sortie I bet there was some dirt and grime. How to best paint this eludes me however :)
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pedro .... Many thanks :)

Jon ...... That explains why i can find no pictures of him dressed like the figure! So is it artwork or a photograph in Molo's book? To be honest i can find very little on these guys and their kit anywhere! And thanks for the info ;)

Manfred ... Thank you! I have done a few polystyrene figures over the last year and this one is pretty well engineered. I'm looking to get the other two that they did over the summer :) ( And thanks for the info on the aircraft )

Progress towards completion ........

a little more work will be required over most of the fabrics to tie it all together and then finish the fur parts ..... been a fun figure to paint!

:)

[IMG]
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Working on the boot covers ...... lots of very thin washes to try and pick the detail out while getting some natural looking fur effects ( I Hope! )

[IMG]