1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Edouard de Colbert 1/6 bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jun 4, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    As I said in my Lannes thread, I m in a sculpting mood so I have started another project. General de Division Edouard de Colbert-Chabanais, CO of the Red Lancers 1812 - 1815. I think I am going to show him in his chapska, head lowered, reading a document. I may put him in the fur shown in his portrait. A Russian setting maybe.

This is the beginnings of work on his face. Still lots of tidying on his face to do.

th.jpg

P6042312.JPG P6042308.JPG P6042310.JPG

P6042307.JPG P6042309.JPG P6042313.JPG
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Good start.
    Perhaps an observation... going by the portrait, maybe add a little more weight to the outside of the upper eyelids. Giving a slightly heavier look to the eyes. Not quite so youthful and bright eyed.

Just a thought.
    You're still on for Sunday?

Colin
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Yup...still on for Sunday.

The face is just roughed out. Lots of shaping yet to do. I actually think my guy looks too old, not too young. Thanks for the input sir.
    tomifune likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You only think that because you're so young, everybody looks too old to your eyes.

If you're definitely coming Sunday then I'll make sure I drive the truck. You passing off your boxes of precious junk will make your wife very happy and piss my old lady off to no end... we both win

Colin the Helpful
    Scotty and crf like this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I wish I could hit "like" twice for one message :)
    Scotty likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Flattery will get me everywhere?
  7. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good start will be watching with interest, I think Colin is right make the eye lids a little heaver. but it's early days so know you have some way to go. it's going to be another great job.

Cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    crf likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Oh YES YES YES ....

Bring it on Colin....look at that uniform ...brilliant

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    crf likes this.
  9. TADATSUGU Guest

The picture painted by Alexandre Jean Dubois - Drahonet, is indeed supposed to depict him in front of Moscow in flames. Doubt that the artist was there though, although he was a contemporary.
    Nice work so far, but IMHO the 'tache seems a bit to upturned ( A la Lasalle) compared with the portrait. Maybe pointing them out to the side would help nail the likeness a little better.
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Progress. I would like to meet the guy that thought the chapska was a good idea. Still need to add cords including those connecting tassels to flounders, chin scales, lion head bosses, circular decoration to cap base and oak leaves to the collar.

I put rings on all four upper corners. I think that is wrong as the corner over the right eye should have a hook for when the chin scales were not worn.

P6062316.JPG P6062317.JPG
    P6062318.JPG P6062320.JPG
    P6062321.JPG
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin,

Oh boy is this beginning to look good , lovely work on the headwear ...you are right about a hook ..away from my books at moment but I am sure others or indeed your good self will confirm its position.

Excellent work on the plume

I cannot wait till the next instalment .

Nap
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Very nice rendition!
    chapska 1rst Lanciers.jpg chapska 2nd Lanciers1.jpg chapska 2nd Lanciers.jpg 2nd Regt Lanciers.jpg
    All the best!
    Martin
    Mike Stevens and ChaosCossack like this.
  13. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The plume has the best "feel" of feathers that I have seen in most Napoleonic busts so far.
    Chin strap seems too thick ?
    ChaosCossack and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks on the plume. Agree on the chin strap leather....it will be shave before adding chin chains.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here's the Red lancer officer chapska I have been using and the excerpt from Rigo for Colbert.

image.jpg image.jpg
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Head done (except for hook) and undercoated.

P6082327.JPG

P6082323.JPG P6082324.JPG P6082325.JPG P6082326.JPG P6082328.JPG P6082329.JPG
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb detail Colin.
    You just get better and more complex each sculpt.
    Great work.
    Regards,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith....I won't be looking to sculpt another czapska again for a while :)
    Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I can understand that My friend....but you just know that that day will come.
    Very best wishes
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ooh this is another lovely piece Colin
    Great stuff so far,
    I can't wait to see him on his horse in this scale !
    Hee hee hee hee
    Paul
    crf likes this.