1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Easy Company bust from Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by montythefirst, Feb 1, 2016.

1. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    montythefirst likes this.
  3. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    More work done

Research on the M43 Jacket the Airborne solider is wearing shows many different colour variations from very green to very drab.

I was very found of the HBO Band of Brothers show and really liked the drab colour M43 uniforms they used and as the bust is an Easy Company one I have opted to go more drab than green.

First off the base was laid down through my airbrush using Tamiya XF51 Khaki Drab and a small drop of vallejo airbrush flow improver.

SAM_1186.JPG SAM_1187.JPG SAM_1188.JPG SAM_1189.JPG

Next I dried brushed coat d'arms 528 Russian brown over the jacket picking out the highlights a technique Calvin Tan uses in painting waffen ss soldiers.

SAM_1193.JPG SAM_1194.JPG SAM_1195.JPG SAM_1196.JPG SAM_1197.JPG

I have also started on the helmet
    This was airbrushed with Tamiya XF62 Olive Drab

SAM_1202.JPG SAM_1204.JPG

More soon
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Promising start on a very nice piece.

- Steve
    anstontyke and montythefirst like this.
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Simon!

Joe
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Simon,I really love this piece,be interesting to follow your progress (y)
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice one Simon ...following with interest

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Further work on the helmet

I applied a wash of Coat d'arms 508 Olive Drab to the upper pot of the helmet

leaving the under part the original base of XF62 this will provide a contrast in colours representing the difference in materials used for the liner and outer pot part on the M1 helmets
    SAM_1299.JPG SAM_1306.JPG SAM_1315.JPG SAM_1316.JPG
    winfield, Viking Bob and anstontyke like this.
  9. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Latest progress....

I blended the tones on the jacket using a thinned mix of Coat d'arms 528 Russian Brown and Tamiya XF51 Khaki Drab misted over the surface using my airbrush.

The scarf was base coated using Model Air 029 Dark Earth and the musette bag and attaching straps were base coated with Model Air 023 Hemp.

SAM_1322.JPG SAM_1323.JPG SAM_1324.JPG SAM_1325.JPG

Finally the ammunition bandolier was base coated using Tamiya XF49 Khaki.
    SAM_1336.JPG SAM_1337.JPG SAM_1338.JPG SAM_1339.JPG

More soon...
  10. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    More progress sorry lost track with colours used but at this point I have used Coat D'arms, Lifecolor, Game Air and Model color acrylics on this face.
    WP_20160424_001.jpg WP_20160424_002.jpg WP_20160424_003.jpg WP_20160424_003.jpg

more here http://montysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
  11. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Further work has been done on the helmet a weathered look to helmet has been achieved with both vallejo chipping medium and multiple stippled layers of various different olive drab hues.

Once the desired effect was achieved the surface was sealed with matte varnish and the regimental markings were applied using an off white colour sprayed through a cheap nail stencil having first coated the area with hairspray in order to weather.

Still lot more to do but I am happy with the effect.

WP_20161015_22_49_28_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

Joe55, Ferris, Aveleira and 2 others like this.
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work on this Simon and great photos.
    Gells
    montythefirst and anstontyke like this.
  13. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Mate
  14. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

The color of the M43 Jacket looks great and I really like the chipping of the stencil on the helmet. This is such a nice bust and it looks to be coming along nicely.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Progress looks very good.This is going to look great when finished.Take your time and keep plugging away.Slow and steady wins the race........(slow?).....No..Not too slow...Just slow enough to do a good job...:)...Keep up the good work.

Wayne
  16. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Band Of Brothers is one of mine and my wife's favourite mini tv series ever. One of those series you could watch over and over again. Great painting. You have really captured the feel of him already.
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not my period but some superb painting, nice break down of the painting too.