1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique East Riding Yeoman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by WarhammerAdjacent, Jun 6, 2024 at 2:27 AM.

1. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Hi all, having completed my first sculpting adventure I think I’ve got the bug. I’m now working on a 1/16 figured repeating member of the East Riding Yeomanry in around 1906. I started with a Redees head, chopped off the top and I’ve put together a slouch hat. I made the sugared from folded washi tape, it’s not perfect but I think it looks ok and it’ll be easy enough to redo if I change my mind. I’m waiting for the brim to cure and then I’ll thin it down a bit more.

IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    dfmoss, Ferris, MCPWilk and 6 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

That slouch shaping looks good and will look even better when thinned down ...carefully !

Following with interest on this

Excellent reference below

Happy benchtime

Nap

338F8A1E-D1ED-4160-8B4A-9D5F686996AA.jpeg 93255363-7720-470A-868F-84CE01ED20E9.jpeg
    Oda likes this.
  3. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks Nap, I've got the one on the right and a friend has loads of photos and a hat so I'm really lucky with my references for once. Here are some of the pics he's shared:
    IMG_9047.JPG IMG_9048.JPG IMG_9049.JPG IMG_9050.JPG IMG_9051.JPG IMG_9052.JPG IMG_8976.JPG IMG_8977.JPG
    Briggsy and Nap like this.
  4. Oda A Fixture

The Hutton Press book looks mighty lovely.Is that volume easily procurable? It looks quite old.

Oda.
  5. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

6. Oda A Fixture

7. Oda A Fixture

Briggsy and Nap like this.
  8. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice start Stephan, a really good Regiment and as you have said previously a direct predecessor to a current TA unit. I assume you are going for the drab service dress uniform, a nice combination of tradition and modernisation.

Of course there are three more Yorkshire Yeomanry Regiments, Yorkshire Hussars, Yorkshire Dragoons and the unfortunate 2nd West Yorks Yeomanry.

Cheers Simon
    Oda and Nap like this.
  9. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Cheers chaps.

Briggsy, I’m definitely going for the khaki and blue service uniform, it’s one of my favourites. As a Yorkshire Yeoman I’ve got plenty of subjects on the to do list, and that’s before I start on Cheshire and the North Irish Horse.

There’s a brilliant line somewhere about the regular army trying to get the yeomanry to wear ‘normal’ uniforms and the Yeo ignoring them and covering them in braid.
    Oda and Briggsy like this.
  10. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

I'll PM you.

Simon
  11. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

A little more progress:
    I am trying out the 3d printed mannequin I have been working on and this weekend

I started roughing out the pose. I’m happy with the legs, just trying to get the arms right at the moment. I think the details of the torso will be a challenge so I’m probably going to add magic sculpt to ‘fix’ the arms, then remove them, do the details of the torso and then add the arms again.

Ideally I’d like his smoking arm to remain removable so I can paint more easily but I’m not sure how to go about that.

EFDCAFAB-C14E-4592-A674-603C75D25559.jpeg 64E257A3-1769-4434-A997-4A2ECE63F8D3.jpeg
    MCPWilk, Oda, Briggsy and 2 others like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

Good to see how you use the mannequin shaping , it’s coming along nicely so far

As for the arm being separated, you could sculpt as you want it the remove at shoulder and have a figment with a pin into the shoulder ...just my thought ....I am definately no sculptor !

Good update

Look forward to seeing more

Happy sculpting

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  13. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice progress mate, pretty much what Kev said about the arm, only thing to be aware of is that in cutting it at the shoulder you will lose a little of the arm due to the cutting. It won't be more than a mm if that but be prepared to add that if it needs it when fixing the arm back in place. Another issue will.be the mating surfaces, they will need cleaning up and best to.make them nice and smooth so they glue back in place with the help of a pin.

Cheers Simon
    Oda and Nap like this.
  14. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Cheers chaps, I’ll have a think about how to approach it.

Today I added his overalls, pretty pleased with these and I’ve definitely learned from last time and avoided covering him with finger prints. I’ve also used cad to make some buttons and his whip which are currently printing.

IMG_9086.jpeg
    NigelR, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  15. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice sculpting, the creases look good. With finger prints etc I recommend extra fine wire wool once the putty is fully cured. It removes blemishes but if over done can remove detail as well, but gives a lovely smooth finish, could also use a fibre glass pen to smooth such minor blemishes, I use one all the time.

Cheers Simon
    Oda and Nap like this.
  16. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ve got one of those pens for cleaning up 3D prints, god knows where though.
    Oda, Briggsy and Nap like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

Nice work on the trousers , as Mr Briggsy said creases look good , possibly a little too full

You might have seen this great site http://www.uniformology.com/YEOMANRY-07.html

Never used one of those pens or wire wool.....a touch of Vaseline to smooth surface out

Look forward to seeing more updates

Happy sculpting

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  18. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think you might be right about being a little too full nap, at least on the left. I think that should be fixable with some light sanding though. I think it's probably mostly the sanding/lighting as they looked ok in person this morning, I'll have a think tonight.
    Oda and Nap like this.
  19. NigelR A Fixture

Very ambitious, you've definitely got the sculpting bug. Good start, looking forward to seeing more of this.
  20. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Morning all, I managed to start his tunic last night, I’m happy with the shape although the torso looks a touch long. I think I’m going to steer more towards the look the uniform was aiming for rather than the way it appears in the pictures.

B4F0A4D4-6FE1-4822-9D82-D153AB9B0580.jpeg
    Oda, Nap and Briggsy like this.