1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Early Attempt At Sculpting.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Lew J, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi to all.

This is my first large scale sculpt, it measures about 50mm form the end of the middle finger to the back of hand. It's intended to be a ruined stone hand from a giant statue for a 40k piece I'm dabbling with, it also serves to help my rudimentary sculpting to progress.
    Sorry for the quality of the pics I shall endeavour to take some better ones.

DSCF1507.JPG DSCF1510.JPG

Thanks Lew J.
    theBaron likes this.
  2. ausf Active Member

United-States
    It helps to look at hands as segments of straight lines, including the palm and wrist. While fingers do curve, they curve in a very distinct and mechanical fashion, moving in unison along the length. It may be the photos, but I think you need to add more evidence of bone structure.
  3. honeycut Member

Australia
    Hey Lew, that is essentially a sound hand for your first large scale sculpt, but I think there are two representations at play, of only one should be chosen. What I mean is that you have endeavoured to sculpt a realistic hand, but the pose is very straightforward. But you mentioned that it was to represent a stone hand from a giant statue which 1/ means you may need to decide what the hand was engaged in doing originally ON the statue ( this could lead to a more dynamic pose of hand)
    or 2/ strive for a less 'life-like' appearance and think how it would have been carved in stone ie. thicker fingers and thumb, with less finesse in a way.
    This is just food for thought, but I think you could have the best of both worlds with a more dynamic pose (thumb bent in at first joint; overlap of pinky finger perhaps?) combined with more rigid/rough statue-like style...
    Look forward to how it progresses!
    Brad