1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Dutch soldier 1/16

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Renéduret, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Eric P.M. Member

Netherlands
    Rene,

have you made any progress lately ? Do we need to worry ? :confused:

Eric
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I suppose he is dipping his legs in some warmish sea, otherwise he could not resist posting for that long ;)
  3. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    :)

no worries please...

I had some renovations at the backside of my living and did some paint- and sandwork.
    When you are trembling that much it's not wise to sculpt anything.

Besides that, I planned to take some time anyway with this one.
    I am waiting for Steve's nice Mannlicher to come and my sculpt must really look good.

just low profile, that's all :)
    René
  4. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    In Dutch we say; 'goed gereedschap is het halve werk.'
    Something like;'good equipment provides half of the work'

Steve provides good equipment!
    Today I was stunned by his sending to me. I imagined some kind of a weaponwizard with all kind of large blue prints on his wall, so much detail...

[IMG]

very inspiring for moving on to my figure!

Today I will have a close look at a real Dutch helmet to to see some flaws which I miss from photograph..

thanks again Steve,

René
  5. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
  6. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    perhaps...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    pokrad and Steve like this.
  7. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    EXCELLENT! I love seeing armies and uniforms that the manufacturers bypass. Aside from Warrior's "skating Dutch soldier", I have never seen your nations WW2 warriors in miniature, and this is great. THANKS! Now how about some soldiers from the sixteenth and seventeenth century colonies in Africa? And some of those mighty Dutch seafarers who so challenged the British on the seas?
  8. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    nice face René, Im glad you are back also! I like the Nietzche moustache lol!
    grettings
  9. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    thanks William! it's true...the Dutch interfered in- and dominated some era.
    I almost feel a bit obliged to do some research for particular uniforms, but let's focus on this one first...

Antonio,

it's a start....looking for a nice pose now.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Steve likes this.
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Great head, and the moustache were the "missing part" ;)
  11. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    thank you Darko....went for another ear...

[IMG]
  12. Ferris A Fixture

I think the head looks very good, with or without the moustache.
    Without actually looks a bit more Dutch IMHO.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    so funny Adrian.
    I, as a Dutch person, often wondered what your 'IMHO' stands for...

in an eyewink I just fully understood ;-)
    great when one has those 'clear' moments. For me it's a sign bringing down my tempi in some processes is a good thing.

the moustache really shows an older man, maybe NCO but foremost first WW era, interbellum I suppose.
    But also here, funny seeing a little detail changing the whole concept.

thanks,

René
  14. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    the detail arrived:

[IMG]

I am complete now.

René
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Coming together now René.
    Carl.(y)
  16. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    moving on...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

still sketching, the pose is fixed though.

René
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    End of "creative blockout" ?
    I'm glad to see that ;)
  18. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    volumecheck by drawing.

[IMG]

I am getting back on track Darko...

René
  19. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Hi Rene
    Excellent work, I like where this is going. The detail on the helmet crest is beautiful, and I like the head sculpt very much. I would suggest that you change how he is holding the rifle just a little. The way he is holding it now appears more of how it would be held when doing drill, or kind of like he is about to hand it to someone, with the rifle upright and the hand just holding it by the stock, out away from the body. If he were in an "alert" position, prepared the bring the rifle up to his shoulder to fire, I think it would be leaning in toward him more, the butt end up toward his shoulder a little more, with his right hand down further on the stock so that his finger would be near the trigger. I think this would add a little more suspense or drama to the pose as well, it would make it appear more like there is impending danger or action, and he's getting ready to respond to it. Nice work!
    Cheers
    Jason

Here is a quick photoshop job showing the change I suggested. The rifle is leaning toward the figure more, but its hard to see from this angle. I moved the right hand toward the trigger, and the left hand more toward the middle of the hand grip, where I think it would be more comfortable to hold what is probably a fairly heavy rifle. Also the band near his left hand is where the sling would be attached, and generally the forward hand doesn't hold the rifle beyond the spot where the sling attaches.

[IMG]
  20. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Hi Jason,

a few people in Holland thought exactly the same way about it like you, really exactly :)

but none of them were photoshopkings like you...

The sketching I did was also a check how some volumes would work out. I need to cut this one in parts for casting him well.

thanks a lot,

René