1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dutch Grenadier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Nov 30, 2004.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    This has got to be the best figure that I have seen from you, Joe.
    What do you think? Would you put this at or near your best?

Keith
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Keith,

I have to admit it that I think this is one of my best if not the best. I think the highlander bust is right up there along with it or it could just be that I have a soft spot for the kilts :lol:

Joe
  3. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Iwas going to say that it looks like your best piece to date. White is a EXPLETIVE too, so even better. Really excellent work Joe.
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Lou,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I hope that maybe I can learn on this one and do better on the next ones. I have a few other Napoleonic's that I want to do but no info on them, so I may have to bend your ear in Atlanta. :)

Joe
  5. Patrick Kirk New Member

Joe,
    Simply awesome...the best work I have seen of whites in a long, long time...Excellent, you amaze me my friend...Wow!
    Your white tone is spectacular, and an inspiration.

All the best

Patrick
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick,

You are much to kind. Thanks for the very nice words and I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta.

All the best,

Joe
  7. Larry R New Member

Joe, i know how hard whites can be and you have done one of the best jobs of it I have ever seen. Makes me want to do another heavy white figure, thanks for sharing your mixes and pics with us. Truely and inspirational piece.
  8. D Hood New Member

FINALLY! Just Kidding. Looks great. Can't wait to see in Atlanta.
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Larry and David,

Thanks very much and I hope the mixtures help. David, better late than never! :lol:

Joe
  10. robbyk9 Active Member

Hello Joe

I am new one here on planet figure. Jim Patrick have recommended to look at your painting style and I must say it looks great (more than that).
    I like your style alo. I so You paint also with acrylic. I am now trying to paint white but I am not pleased with it.
    I saw your step by step with painting white but I don't understand what you meaning with the pictures.
    I hope you want to explane it to me. I looking forward to see your answer.
    Keep on going with your painting. I looking forward to see your next figure.

Greetings Dick
  11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Dick,

Welcome to the planet and thanks for the kind words. :) I will be happy to try and explain what it is you need. Is it the pictures that you do not understand or my steps? Just let me know what I can do to help.

All the best,

Joe
  12. robbyk9 Active Member

Hello Joe

Thanks for your responce. I was looking at your sbs pictures but I didn't understand wich colour do you mix with the other. For example wich colour did you use for the 1e highlight and for increasing the 2e highlight did you mix the second colour with the 1e highlight or was the second highlight a other colour not mixt with the 1e higlight.
    Also I saw in your forum that you can not say how much you use (colour, drops)
    for increasing the highlights or shades.
    I have a problem sometimes to mix the colours by feeling so with difficult colours
    I try to count drops of paints when I increas the highlights or schades.
    As you see many questions but I already pleased that you want to help me.
    We keep in touch

Greetings Dick ;)
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Dick,

I hope this will help some. :) If doing white I may take the base color, look at the palette on page 2, and I will use say deck tan then I will add about a dot of/drop of off-white.

Then for the high light I will take say 2 drops of the base and then add a 1/4 of off-white and then just keep adding more off white to go up in highlights using just pure off-white for the highest one.

Shadows are about the same but just less of the shadow color, in this case German grey. In some parts thought I did use just pure German grey.

I hope this helps if not please let me know.

Joe
  14. robbyk9 Active Member

Hello Joe

Thank you so much for your help. This explanation is perfect for me. I am sorry for my stupidity that I didn't understand the explanation with the pictures. But I have so much to learn as newcomer. I get confused with all that paint on your pallet.
    But anyway this will help me alot. I going to try it out and if it is done I will take pictures and send you a mail.
    Thanks again and we keep in touch

Greetings Dick :)