1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dutch Grenadier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Awesome work on this sbs for whites Joe, I'm sure that many people here, including myself, will get helped from this one. Keep up the good work man.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome Joe...........many thanks for showing us your sbs.
  3. y_wong New Member

Dear Joe, thanks for sharing.

regards :)
  4. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thanks for sharing this wonderfull SBS. I especially like the subtle different tint of white between the pants and the jacket.

can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Greetz,

Gino
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words. I thought that it might need some color seeing I still had a ton of white to do so here are some pictures of the vest.

Attached Files:

6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I almost forgot :eek: Thanks to Luis for giving me a great site that had some really nice pictures of actual items. Here is one picture of the uniform.

Attached Files:

7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    BTW the vest that I have painted is darker in person than in the picture. I hope to take a few better pictures as I go along.

The palette.

Attached Files:

8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    paints

Attached Files:

9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome Joe....thanks for the mix
  10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guy and like I told you this was almost my last post :) After the last set of pictures the little fellow thought that he would take a head dive onto the ceramic floor and break off his collar! Well, thanks to my 2 1/2 year old son he was saved. My little boy looked up at me and said "daddy it was an accident and it is ok." Well, here are some pictures before and after.

Please let me know if you are bored with each of the steps and I can just go to the bigger ones if you like.

Joe

Attached Files:

11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another view

Attached Files:

12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank goodness for simple mixes! Here is the repaired picture.

Attached Files:

13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    the cross belts.

Base Bone white + silver grey and a dot of German grey

Attached Files:

14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    palette

Attached Files:

15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    paints

Attached Files:

16. johnbrewer New Member

Superb stuff joe, you make 54mm look a lot bigger than it is with your beautiful painting. You have blown those figures up to well over live size and they look excellent, not a easy thing to do (y) (y)
  17. y_wong New Member

Dear Joe,

I particularly like the way you go about the SBS by showing us the color mix on the palette instead of describing in words. It enables us to better apppreciate the amount of effort, not to mention the number of colors, that goes into the paint job. A picture is worth a thousand words!

BTW, your figure is coming along fine.

regards :)
  18. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Joe, please continue along the path your'e going now. It's funny how you see these steps as the little steps and obviously, based on the number of people reading and responding to this thread, that we see this as the major steps. Or at least I do. I have to be honest with you about one thing though. Here I was thinking I had a corner on the "Screwing up a figure" market. Whew! :lol: Seriously Joe, you made a great recovery and based on your photos, I can't tell where the repair was made. Out of the mouth of babes......(I have that problem too ;) )

Jim Patrick
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Bored?.........never.............facinated.?......very. Keep up the great thread Joe. I enjoy seeing the steps, good ones and bad ones, on how you do a figure.
  20. amherbert Member

Hi Joe

Well you've passed me quickly!

I thought the facings for the Dutch guards were more of a crimson/magenta than the color portrayed in that photo and in your figure. Clearly, the plates in the H&C Uniforms of the Imperial Guard (Troops) show a brighter different hue. The photo of the preserved uniform shows something very different. More of a straight dark red color. Interesting.

This is bound to lead to a discussion of those other 'guard' colors like the orange/pink aurore debate etc.

Your SBS is perfect. Nice little steps with clear illustrations.

Andy