1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dutch Grenadier drummer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey everyone,

Have not painted much since the summer but now have the itch to paint again. I could not decide what to paint so thanks to Jim ;) I am attempting to paint some more whites. I am having fun again with this one. I think it has taken me as long to paint the drum as it has to where I am at now on the figure. Still more work to do with the drum and figure but just wanted to share a few pictures with you all.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another look

Attached Files:

3. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE,so far,Joe !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Merde, Joe,

I wish i could paint such white's. Great painting.

Marc
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    White on! :lol:

Well I was expecting this soon Joe. A good start.......a great contrast with the reds too. Will be interesting to see this develop

R
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Awesome work, even on the reds. Can I have it? :)
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys for the kind words, I really do appreciate them. I took a few new pictures and hope that they are better.

Rob,

You knew it would take me a little while but now I am ready for the task. How are you doing?

Marc and Kenneth,

Thanks. Marc, just pull out the Vallejo's and give it a try. :) I am sure that you will do a really nice job with them.

Hey Steven,

Thanks and we will see. ;)

Joe

Attached Files:

8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    one more, I hope these are better :(

I can see from this some touch up work is neede!! :eek:

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, He's looking really good wish i could see it in the flesh. He looks to have more contrast than your previouse "white" subjects.~Gary
  10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Excellent whites. Way to go Joe.

Xenofon
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Lovely, Joe. Your whites keep getting better and better.

The drum is nicely done, too. I like how you have done the "netting"or "cords" on the drum.
    (y)

Keith
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Joe, its sleeping beauty here!! That's one awesome piece you're painting. I love those whites. Great stuff

Stephen Mallia
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great stuff buddy........you really are in to the whites :lol:

Getting this dude ready for Chicago? Leave some some space in your carry box ;)

Warmest Regards,

Ray :)
  14. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Joe,

Your whites look real good so far but I'm pretty impressed with the drum. Even the closeup looks good. I painted a Metal Modeles drummer a couple of years back & probably took longer painting his drum than it took for the entire figure.
    Mike
  15. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    OK Joe, sorry for not responding sooner. Ever once in awhile, children need to be attended to...... ;) . Now about this figure, the more I look at it, the more I think you need to finish it and return it to the original owner. Free of charge of course! :lol: . Seriously though, I think this is probably your best "attempt" at white. I say "attempt" because there really isn't much of an attempt for you at painting anything.....much less white (y) . I like this lace much better than a solid color. It helps to break up the whites and crimsons. Nice touch on the bearskin. I like the ruffled look. Of course bearskin wasn't so straight and uniform and you have represented this well. By the way, I really like the grass. Looks like Kenneth and I have a new convert to "Natural Grass". Just wait til you see it painted, you'll never go back.........

Can't wait to see it at Chicago,
    Jim Patrick
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Joe.
  17. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful job, Joe! Your giving me courage to paint whites.

Jason
  18. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Lovley Joe, I like a lot the way that you paint the whites, keep the good work
    ER
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,Xenofon, Ernest,

Thanks for the very encouraging words. I am having fun painting this one and hope to have more pictures soon.

Gary,
    After seeing all the great work here and at WE I knew that I needed to try a step it up some so I hope this will be a little better.

Ray,

I have my Philip next to me and a space is already waiting for him in the box. ;)

Stephen,

So glad you were up long enough to see the drummer! :lol: No really, thanks very much for the kind words. BTW I have a few musicians that I will need some help with later.

Jason,

I have seen your painting and I am sure that you need no help. I hope to see more of your work soon.

Mike and Keith,

I have not painted many drums and I have to agree, I think it took as long to paint the drum as it has for the figure! I painted the drum and primer color and then took Liquidtex gold oil painted and then painted it straight onto the grey primmer. I then placed it in a crock pot to dry. Once dry I then painted a thin coating of Tamiya clear yellow on the gold, this gave it a nice brass look. I then painted all the cord areas Vallejo German Grey. I then went back and took the side of my brush with some off-white and ran it along the cords. I hope this helps.

Jim,

Hey after seeing it in the flesh you may want it stripped and then returned!! :lol: I have to say thanks to you for all the help and support so far on this figure. I will try to get some pictures of the groundwork soon. I like the way yours has looked and I gave it a try and I think it turned out ok.

Here is a shot of the head. Still a little more tweaking to do and to fix some of the lace around the neck area.

Joe

Attached Files:

20. y_wong New Member

Dear Joe,

Looking forward to its completion.

regards