1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dull Coat Problem

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by renarts, Feb 23, 2013.

1. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Was working on a figure and was getting a little too much sheen off the acrylic paint. Thought I would try Testor's Dull Coat in the hope that it would matte the finish. Instead I got just the opposite, a gloss finish. I shook it thoroughly, it was a brand new can, and shot it at room temperature (which is about 80 degrees right now here in Florida.)
    Am I screwed and destined to strip and repaint or is there a fix?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I think you might be done. Same happened to me with my McCrae bust and it was oven cleaner time. Wait for the experts though. Another good can of dullcoat over the old might save you. I guess the lesson is to alway test dullcoat before using it....old or new. But when it works its great stuff.

Colin
  3. Jomo New Member

You got a bad can of Dull Coat, and no matter how any times you try recovering it with dull coat, it will not recover.

It can be fixed though. Get a can of Krylon crystal clear, and spray it with the crystal clear. It will then be all glossy, and then respray with a new can of Testors dull oat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Well, there is some truth to the axiom of being left to one's own devices. First I'd like to say thanks to Colin and Jomo for their help.
    Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point I tried something off the wall. I remembered I had some of Reaper's flat additive. I mixed up a very light wash of the base color of each section of the figure. More like a tinted water than a color. I added a toothpick tip dab of the flat additive and gave the sections a coat of this wash. To my great relief, dead flat. Black holes don't absorb this much light. So with some touch up of some of the highlight areas the figure is saved and I feel relieved. Thanks guys.
    The can of dull coat? In the garbage. Never to be used or spoken of again. A pox on the house of Testors......
  5. paulr3260 Active Member

It could be as simple as they put a Dullcoate label on a can of glosscoate by accident. See what it looks like sprayed on some practice plastic. Just a thought...
  6. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,

Was it a humid day when you used the Dullcoat? Humidity can ruin it. Also, you might try warming the can (and I warm the figure too).

Jason
  7. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Jason, That very well could have been the culprit. It is in the mid 80's here and humid.
    I normally don't have that much of an issue with vallejo acrylics. Thoroughly shaken they are pretty flat in their finish. But I used one of the airbrush line and it had a sheen to the finish. So I thought I would try the dull coat. Thanks for the tip.

Paul, thanks, but I'm staying away from the Testors and figure work from now on. Though I did dig the can out of the garbage and give it a shot on a test sheet as you suggested and it dulled but still had a semi gloss sheen to it. Whether from the humidity level here on the coast lately or defective labeling, I'm going back to what I know best. The Vallejo and Reaper acrylics either well shaken or the flat additive.

Humility is a great teacher and I should have known better than to try and spray the figure without doing a test shot. Lesson reminded, and drilled home.
    Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello Mike, i live in Miami, same temperature and i have been using Testors Dullcote for almost 6 years, never had an issue with it.
    Did you vigorously shake the can for at least 1 minute?
    It is also important to maintain the proper distance from the figure when you are spraying it ,other than that i don't know what else might be, i have always got amazing results with it.
    As Pauls state,it could be they missplaced the label,they are identical it just says glosscote.
    That could explain, believe me, my standard product for finishing figs is testor's dullcote.
    I hope you try another can,maybe that one was defective.
    Best regards
  9. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Marqui,
    I shook it for well over a minute, held the can about 12 to 14" from the figure. Gave it a light coat. So I will write this off as a mis-labeled can. Or humidity issues. Either way it will be a while before I head back to using it. For my armor models I have always used a mix of Tamiya flat and future to achieve a nice flat finish with great success. I thought this time I would try something different since I've heard great things about Dull Coat.
    Thanks for the tip.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  10. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Don't give up on Dullcoat. I too have used it for decades, and it gives a superb dead matte finish. You apparently stumbled upon a very infrequent glitch somewhere, either a defective can or your spraying conditions. You might try airbrushing it on next time, either by decanting from the spray can into a bottle, or buying the bottled version of the product.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I just would get rid of that can and buy another one, after all is not that expensive thou.
    Regards
  12. faust18 Active Member

For what its worth the armypainter matt spray always works for me I hade a " mare"a few years back with games workshop anti shine they decided to change the formula without consulting me first ! Damn ignorant of them!
    MarquisMini likes this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    lol, they should never do that!
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys
    A can of Dulcote just popped thru my door today, never used it before but you lot have just scarred me shi!l!!s :eek:
    it says on the can Crear coat .capa transperante Have I bought the wrong stuff o_O

Ron
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I think you've got Harry Potters cape of invisibility :D
  16. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I wouldn't give up on the DullCote, either, though use whatever you choose. I suspect it was rather a bad batch and environmental conditions, rather than a mislabeled can. I've never had a problem with DullCote, though.

Well, not true, once I reached for the can of Dullcote and grabbed a can of white by mistake. At first spray, I thought to myself, "Boy, this looks thick and is taking a long time to go clear". Then I realized the mistake. Remember how Doc Brown looked in "Back to the Future", when his little scale model car burst into flame and hit a pile of rags? That was the look I had and the noise I made. My only excuse was that it was around 5 in the morning.

Prost!
    Brad
    MarquisMini likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    OK wise guy:) just tried it out and it has worked wonders (y)
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Who said that? :nailbiting:
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Smells nice too.
    Carl.:wacky::hungover::nailbiting::sleep:
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You could get high on that stuff from a hundred yards:playful: