WIP Duke of Wellington, CGS Minitaures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 8, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

A very productive weekend for me.:D

I started painting this bust, sculpted by DF Grieve, on Friday night and this is where I finished up on Sunday night. Most of the painting is just base coating at this stage, although I've started shading and highlighting the skin.

As always, I welcome any comments/ criticisms.
    IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1345.JPG
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Tony ,

A great sculpt , I am glad that CGS have kept this one ...and a great companion to Blucher as well

Can you share how you achieve the sash effect (loved the Blucher one)

Look forward to even more progress

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  3. swralph A Fixture

looking good
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Nap & swralph, I appreciate your comments guys.

Nap, the sash has just been undercoated with Jo Sonya acrylics at this stage. I'm working on adding some subtle textures into the sash to show its weave pattern, but its almost impossible to see in these pics. To give the sash a slight silky shimmer without making it glossy, I've added a small amount of pearlescent white to the blue mix. This will be used mainly on the highlights.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A little bit more progress last night.

Still base coating some parts, especially the medals and decorations on the tunic. Also tweaking the skin tones slightly, adding 5 o'clock shadow.

The red is shiny because I've just added an oil wash to deepen the tunic colour.
    IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1352.JPG
    Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Funky50 Guest

The oak leafs on the coller looks really nicely done......love it
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Tony

Coming on very nicely.
  8. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Another beautiful Grieve sculpt looking very nice in your hands. Could I ask what your "recipe" is for the gold braid? Thanks.

Pete
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks MalcC and Pete, I appreciate your comments.

Pete, the gold braid recipe starts with a base coat made with a mixture of Josonja acrylic Fawn and Rich Gold in roughly equal amounts. I don't want it to look metallic, but to have a very slight metallic fleck. I then apply a heavy wash of Van Dyke Brown oil paint diluted in white spirits over the braiding and the cords. When that dries fully, I then apply highlights by mixing Josonja Flesh Tone mixed with Rich Gold, and apply deep shadows using Josonja Burnt Umber. For the cords, I apply the highlights as a series of closely spaced diagonal lines to simulate the threaded weave of the cords. A final oil wash of Van Dyke Brown mixed with a little Olive Green ties it all together. If you want to see how its done properly, I can recommend Danilo Cartacci's book which has a section of painting metallic braid for uniforms which offers a far better explanation than I can.
    prhayes68 and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give this a try and see how it turns out. Forgive me for being dense but at the final wash stage I assume that it's oil Olive Green mixed with the Van Dyke Brown? Thanks again.

Pete
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another great looking bust mate,you've made a great start so far and it's looking good,are you going to do the Napoleon bust as well for the set?

Bruan
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Pete, yes the final oil wash involves a mix of Van Dyke Brown and olive Green oil paint mixed and diluted in white spirits.

Hi Brian, yes mate, Napoleon will be the next bust and will join Blucher and wellington as part of a triptych. The best Napoleon Bust I've seen is the one by Alexandros Miniatures, so I will use that version of Napoleon instead. Should make an interesting piece when they are put together. Thanks for your comments Bruan (?)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Latest pics. Spent last night painting the small details on the decorations and medals on Wellington's chest.

Attached Files:

14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work Tony.

Marc
  15. Mark S Guest

Looking good Tony.
    Don't be tempted to do any more tonight if you've been at the cricket all day mate....;)
  16. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Sorry I missed this one until now, mate. He's looking great so far, another cracking bust in the making.
    Cheers
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony

Yes the Alexandros Napoleon is a great piece, I painted it myself a while back now,good luck with this one,look forward to following with interest (y)
  18. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I do appreciate them all.

I'm calling this bust "done".

Final touches last night have now got me to the point where I think I'll just start to muck it up if I keep going.

IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG
  20. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Outstanding Tony, superb job :)
    Merry christmas to you and thanks for bringing Blucher and Wellington alive so finely.