1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Duel to the death- Roman v Germanic

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

I dug up this pair at the back of the shelf. It's a vignette from a Pegaso series vignettes that lock together to create a large diorama of the German ambush of a Roman column in the Teutoburg Forest... I think. I have NO background info into this era.:oops: I started the Roman well over a year ago and picked up the Germanic tribesman this week. Trying to keep the brushes moving while I struggle with the putty thing :wtf:

I was going for a redheaded northman when doing the face and hair so I tried to keep his complexion a little paler. The hair is based with Vallejo OrangeBrown, highlighted by adding yellow and shading by adding Carmine. The hair and beard were then washed with Citadel Ogryn Flesh wash and a bit of Baal Red wash added to the beard to make it a darker red than the hair.
    IMGP0245.jpg IMGP0246.jpg IMGP0247.jpg IMGP0248.jpg IMGP0249.jpg IMGP0250.jpg IMGP0251.jpg
    The Roman needs a little freshening up... Really shows the difference between my work now and where I was 18 months ago.
    IMGP0252.jpg IMGP0253.jpg IMGP0254.jpg IMGP0255.jpg IMGP0258.jpg
    This Project is "Shooter Approved" (y)
    IMGP0259.jpg

Thanx for looking in, comments and critiques are always welcome

Cheers

Colin
    Adoril, Aveleira, Meehan34 and 6 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    First things first........my better half loves the black panther on your bench, she also says "it's probably a recipe for figure painting trouble".
    Great figures Mate and a brilliant start. I really like the ginger combatant. I have a ginger Grenadier Guardsman some where in my things to tackle minds eye so will follow this little chap with personal interest.
    Crack on Mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    I know I'm getting old & my eye sight isn't what it use to be but, don't the cat seem out of scale compared to the figures??LOL GREAT painting & good looking cat - reminds me of the movie "Cat People"!!
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    No it's from "Team America World Police." Nice to see you go so quickly to a new project after finishing the last one Colin. You will ave lots of sculpting time when the knee job gets done.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very nice 'Cat',... how in the hell, did you manage to paint it so life like ?. lovely blending with Black, .. love the eyes!........... :angelic::hilarious: I am not sure that the scale, matches the figures though! .. lol!. But still a nice start on the Germanic tribesman!

Mark
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice start, Colin! A very dynamic vignette. It will look great under Shooters supervision!:happy:
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Good Start Colin!!! Hope to see more soon ;)
    The roman figure looks very well painted, the barbaric also ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you all for the kind words.
    I've done a little more on this one... so far I've completed the checked trousers.
    Started with a base of middle blue:
    Base- Medium Blue 963 + English Uniform 921
    Highs- Base + Sky Grey 989
    Shade- Base + more English Uniform
    IMGP0260.jpg IMGP0261.jpg IMGP0262.jpg IMGP0263.jpg
    Then penciled the lines for the squares:
    IMGP0270.jpg IMGP0271.jpg
    Filled in alternate squares with green:
    Base- Flat Green 968
    Highs- Base + Sunny Skin Tone 845
    Shade- Base + German Camo Black Brown 822
    IMGP0272.jpg IMGP0274.jpg IMGP0275.jpg IMGP0276.jpg IMGP0280.jpg
    Finally, a red stripe (Red 926) was added horizontally and vertically to border the squares:
    IMGP0281.jpg IMGP0282.jpg IMGP0284.jpg IMGP0285.jpg IMGP0286.jpg

Thanx for looking in, comments are always welcome

Cheers

Colin

Attached Files:

tiberius57, Aveleira and crf like this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That must have been tough to paint. Nice job. I hate painting checks on drapery but you pulled it off nicely. Press on,

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin, things didn't start to get hinky until I got below the knees where the pants are bunched up and tied at the ankle... trying to taper and twist the squares to match the folds.

I think the rest of this should be a breeze after the red hair and the cheques

Cheers

Colin
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Always a task those damn checks but you are right on the money Colin.
    Good work Mate, well done.
    All the best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looking good so far! Keep on!!!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great job on those squares. Not easy at all. Many deep folds and the scale doesn't help at all.
    When finished, this mini will look great. What a great display will make with the roman.
    Planning to finish this vignette before July 31?
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith and Pedro... This has been a fun change from my usual fare
    Zeno, thanx as always for your support, yeah, I hope to get this done by next weekend, before I go under the knife. I have a ton of stuff to start once I'm back home.

Colin
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    We are rooting for you Colin....charge that finish line!

Colin
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    CHHAAAAARRRRGGGEEEE!!!!!!!!!
    crf likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    A little more...

The tunic is done with Mediun Camo Brown, highlighted by adding Sunny skin tone and shaded by adding German Camo Brown Black. Then a Turquois/English Uniform sash and trim (at hem, cuffs and collar) was added. Everything was then washed with Citadel Delvan Mud. Leathers (boots and knife sheath) are just based with Flat Brown.
    IMGP0287.jpg IMGP0288.jpg IMGP0289.jpg IMGP0290.jpg
    Leather parts, knife handle and his BamBam club too be done as well as the shield and this guy is finished! The Roman also needs his shield done.

Then it's on to the base... I've already cut, sanded and stained a lovely piece of Red Oak for the base, ready for groungwork.

Cheers

Colin
    Aveleira, tiberius57 and crf like this.
  18. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Cool! Amazing face! Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looking better and better! Go on keep painting!!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Heis looking really good Colin.
    I like your colour mixes for the jacket and they match well with the trousers.
    Press on Mate so looking forward to the match up on your groundwork.
    Cheers
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.