1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Duchy of Warsaw Drummer with Daughter Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henk, May 13, 2021.

1. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Parts are cleaned up and prepped and primererd...
    There's a lot of white involved in this one, (a bit of a first for me), so I'll start with that, and I've started on the backpack. There was a fair bit of cleaning up to do in the area under his right arm, and between the arm and the girl. Not unexpected with such an involved casting, but a right fav to get into. Some of the mould lines were quite pronounced, but cleaned up ok.
    Let the paint flinging begin.
    Billy Dickinson, Nap and Viking Bob like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Following this closely ...might be my iPad but can see any pictures

A big project

Happy benchtine

Nap
    Henk likes this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Yes, pictures... they're on my phone Kev, and for some reason my phone doesn't want to upload pictures at the moment :mad:. I'll get round to it later. It's a bit of a fav with the camera ( get set up. Get pieces to camera. Take pictures. Take card out of camera. Find card reader. Plug reader into tablet. Transfer pictures from card to tablet. Adjust size of pictures to fit website. I need a cup of tea.....).
    Dont worry, pictures will come forth today.
    Nap likes this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bad seams and lots of clean up are a problem with these big chunks of resin. Ideally, they should be broken down into smaller sub assemblies which can then be moulded as separate parts. As a result of this the mould and set up costs would be higher, so in order to try to keep costs down it's done in one piece. The downsides are that mould wear is greater, so more replacements will be needed and cleanup for the buyer is greater - a bit of a "false economy" IMO....(y)
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Progress so far. Not much, but its my first time doing a large white figure, and I'm building it up with many thin layers, to avoid the dreaded white chalky surface. Most of the back and the left shoulder will be covered by his cape, so I'll be using it to practise a few things. Also found a few more mould lines...

20210514_130345.jpg 20210514_130416.jpg 20210514_130434.jpg 20210514_130449.jpg 20210514_130533.jpg 20210514_130549.jpg
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

We have pictures ....a masive chunk of resin , forgot it's a white uniform.........a challenge ...be interested in seeing what your going to practice as you go

Good your getting all the mould lines sorted

Look forward to seeing more especially the child

Happy benchtine

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Scott Sheltz and DaddyO like this.
  7. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Kev. References are a bit limited online, but I've got enough( including the pictures you put up) to get this done. Luckily the drummer's uniform is fairly simple, and the girl allows plenty of artistic freedom... or so I thought.
    Looking much closer, I found that the girl is wearing what looks like a military style jacket/coat, with typical lace detail on the chest. She also wears hobnailed shoes with buttoned puttees..
    I'm researching what the score is with children in the Napoleonic times, knowing that there would be a train of camp followers, who could include wives and children. Boys would be part of the army from a young age (example drummer boys), and women could wear military style clothing when they were amongst the ranks selling their wares/distribute water etc..
    Its a fascinating subject, I'm glad I got this.
    DaddyO likes this.
  8. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

That is true, and I agree that this model would probably have benefitted from separating at least the girl and the drummer, and probably some of the coat tails. Still, it is a very nice figure. I think growing up with a limited supply of figures, and largely being restricted to what was available in the local model shop (not every town had a Bonaparte's Aladdin's cave style shop :D), you get used to making the best of what's available. Cleaning up mould lines and such was part and parcel of model building/ painting.
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It is, and its something Ive grown up with as a modeller, since I was young..! I do feel though, that with the quality expected nowadays,that maybe a little thought given to the engineering of these things would alleviate the ball-ache of having to clean up and reinstate detailing, any more than is necessary...(y)
    Nap likes this.
  10. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Henk, after the awesome finish on the Harbinger of Death, I'm watching this one with interest too, it's rather a complete change in tone, both subject matter and colour palette from your last work. And I hear what you say about the inevitable clean-up (of flash and/or mould lines) in the preparation phase... an all-too-familiar aspect of the hobby with plastic kits. I have yet to tackle resin in any scale, and haven't painted anything for decades, so it's fascinating to see how materials and techniques have evolved. Thank you and everybody for sharing your progress and projects here.
    Nap likes this.
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like to do different things. Apart from the PzKpfw IV in its various variants, I don't think I've ever done the same model twice. Apart from two commissions, one was three Dragon Wagons (different loads though) and a bunch of AA Land Rovers...
    You are in the right place to get all the answers to your questions, and plenty of encouragement along the way. Things have moved on a bit the last two decades mind...
    Nap likes this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pick a Napoleonic subject they said...
    It will be fun they said...

'T is a steep learning curve. I'm getting reacquainted with practices which I've become sloppy with. Pick your primer colour with care. Paint neatly..
    The white is getting there. I'm not at all used to shading white, its tricky. The Blue is fine, its just Vallejo Blue, lightened with Vallejo White. The next steps (wash and highlight) will see it lightened to the shade that my reference pictures indicate.
    The red is a pain.... its so translucent, it's hard to get a uniform coat. I may start the red bits again with a primer.
    20210520_113359.jpg 20210520_113306.jpg 20210520_113248.jpg
    Scott Sheltz and Nap like this.
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some more, this shows how much of the figure is going to be covered over by the cape/blanket. I'm not sure about the colour of the crown of the czapka, still going through images of, to work out if I'm going for Blue, or something different like Black. The turn up at the back is also a bit of a mystery, and the only references I've found so far only show the figure from the front.

20210520_120754.jpg 20210520_120811.jpg 20210520_120842.jpg
    Scott Sheltz, Nap and Erbay like this.
  14. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A bit more progress. I'm not getting as much bench time as I'd like this week, but I've managed to get the white where I want it, and the blue and red are mainly done, just needing a bit of highlighting and some shadows. I've started blocking in the clothing of the girl, it is quite a complex muddle of fabric and many folds, and some of it is hard to get the brush at.

20210528_093929.jpg 20210528_093953.jpg 20210528_094033.jpg 20210528_094105.jpg 20210528_094133.jpg
    Scott Sheltz, Tonton, Nap and 3 others like this.
  15. misfit151 A Fixture

Great progress Henk......keep it going. (y). Mike
    Henk likes this.
  16. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mike. Its not an easy piece to paint (but you've probably noticed that yourself...lol) As mentioned in another thread, this bust would benefit from having been split in more parts.
    Nap likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Catching up on this .....so much white but it's getting there

Are you using a similar base coat for the reds and blues or painting direct on white ?

A piece that needs care planning to paint ...I would be tempted to loose the cape !

Thanks for updates

Look forward to more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  18. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev
    Yeah, so much white.. what were they thinking? We need to be as visible as possible. So as if banging a great big drum don't attract enough attention, we'll dress him in white....

I am working wholly on a grey primer base, a mistake I'll not be making again lol. As for loosing the cape, that would require major surgery, and some sculpting the make good the collar area. It would be feasible though, because the back is fully detailed. I wonder if an alternative head was planned/will be available.

On the road today (all this resin wants to be paid for... ) doing some overtime. Paint flinging will resume tomorrow.
  19. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking paint work on what looks to be a complex kit. Coming along nicely!
  20. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Scott.