1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dryad (Creepytables)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

My latest project is another commission piece, always a nice little ego boost when someone is willing to spend money on you to paint something for them. This time it's a forest themed fairy or imp from Creepytables in 1/10 scale. For a look at what you get in the box, have a look here: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/creepytables-dryad-open-box.293266/

It's a nice piece, but the skirt was a bit troublesome to clean up and glue together. Virtually the entire edge had a mold seam that needed removing, and because the mating edges are multifaceted, fit was at times somewhat iffy. I found removing the small locating pins a help with alignment, along with beveling the inside edges. You will probably need to spend quite a bit of time dry fitting before you commit to glue. I added a pin through the flower recess on one side of the skirt through the other for extra security, and once I got the torso to dry fit well enough, I used 5 minute epoxy for added strength and the extra time didn't hurt in making sure things were well and truly set up right. In the end, there was a fair amount of putty needed for the skirt seams, and some greenstuff was needed at the back to match up the tendrils and fill the gap there. You may wish to use milliput or some such to reinforce gaps from the inside to make sure it won't crack apart. The fit of the separate leaves for her head could have been a little bit more positive but not terrible. You'll need to refer to either my photos or Creepytables' site for placement. I also added a short pin to plinth with a hole in the torso on the off chance the client want's a different option, it also makes for a more positive sit if you don't glue it on right away. On to photos...

P1020215.JPG

P1020216.JPG

P1020217.JPG

P1020218.JPG

P1020219.JPG

P1020220.JPG

P1020221.JPG

I also manged to get her primed black and some base coats added. I'm approaching this one slightly differently than I normally would. I was asked to keep her skin as natural looking as possible and for green leaves. I decided on a dark skin base with Vallejo Orange Brown, and the leaves with a light base of Dead Flesh. The Orange Brown is a very nice tanned shade and will give me some options for hues. I think it will be easier to add washes and filters to bring out the greens for the leaves rather than trying to paint them individually. There is a lot of texture created with the overlapping and that means a lot of finicky work. The flowers will be pinkish purple, the base coat is actually a very desaturated pink, but looks white in the photos, and will be brought up with washes and glazes.

P1030223.JPG

P1030224.JPG

P1030225.JPG

P1030226.JPG

P1030227.JPG

Everything is still a bit in the air colour wise, I'll know more when I get some washes down on the leaves.

Kimmo
    Airkid, Nap, Perseas and 4 others like this.
  2. Kimmo A Fixture

Making good progress today. After getting the base green down properly, I started playing with purple and violet toned washes, then some dark washes to define the leaves a bit more and then glazes of green. I wanted to avoid a monotonous tone, I think the purple and violet add nice variation. Still plenty of refining to do, edging and outlining is next on the agenda. I added a bit more colour to other elements and some rudimentary shading to help with the overall feel.

P1030228.JPG

P1030229.JPG

P1030230.JPG

P1030231.JPG

P1030232.JPG

After I get the leaves further along, I can then start on the skin tones.

Kimmo
    Airkid, Nap, Perseas and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

Not as much time at the bench as I would have liked today, but more progress. I defined the leaves and did some highlighting as well, I lost some of the purple and magenta so that needs to be added again. I may bring up the intensity of the green a bit too. I also got a start on the skin tones. I may have stumbled on a good set of colours for tan skin in the process. Orange Brown for the base, highlights by adding Sunny Skin Tone, and shadows with Hull Red and Violet.

P1040233.JPG

P1040234.JPG

P1040235.JPG

P1040236.JPG

P1040237.JPG

Hoping to get a full day in tomorrow. I think I'm at about 75% right now so not much left to do, but what is left will be rather slow going work.

Kimmo
    Airkid, Nap and Landrotten Highlander like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Yiur certainly cracking on with this , great explanation how your palette colours are used

Like the way the dress is looking

Thanks for the review as well on this

Look forward to seeing more especially the hedgehog

Thanks for sharing

Why not enter FOTM as well new details wef from Jan 2021 here : https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/new-details-for-fotm-from-jan-2021.288147/

Please do support in your choice of category either STANDARD, INTERMEDIATE or ADVANCED

Do msg me if you have questions

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  5. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Thats a figure that i have not yet seen, looking very good what you ve done so far.
  6. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap and Stephan!

I share what I can, the colours are just as much for me as for anyone else. Easier to write this stuff down here and not try to find it in my non-existent filing system :)

A bit more progress today. I did some work with her hair, the flowers and started on the hedgehogs.I gave everything a clear coat as well to protect the work. I added a touch of yellowish green to the varnish to bring up the greens of the leaves.

P1050238.JPG

P1050239.JPG

P1050240.JPG

P1050241.JPG

P1050242.JPG

I'm hoping to get the final touches done tomorrow, lots of stuff to do in the ever growing pile of stuff that need to be done next.

Kimmo
    Nap and Airkid like this.
  7. Kimmo A Fixture

Thought I might get her done today but there was too much fiddly work left. Skin tones have been smoothed out and the hedgehogs are now almost done. I did a bit more refining with the flowers and applied some inks to smooth out the hair and the wood, the wood needs a new round of highlighting.

P1070243.JPG

P1070244.JPG

P1070245.JPG

P1070246.JPG

P1070247.JPG

Tomorrow should see this done barring any last minute whoopsies.

Kimmo
    oldtrousers, Nap and Airkid like this.
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Somebody's going to be very happy to receive that. Excellent work Kimmo and some good pictures to show the gradual colour adjustments.

Phil
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Great updates , the work on the leaves and the flowers really has worked well

Fleshtones work well also

As Phil says " someone is going to be very happy"

Thanks for updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Phil and Nap! I do believe someone is happy with progress to date. Speaking of...

I think we're done. I did some more touches here and there and then focused on getting the creepers to stand out. The wood shades are a little too close for my liking, but I didn't want to redo the arms shields. The creepers have more of a reddish tone, while the arm shields a bit more of a greyish tan.

P1070248.JPG

P1070249.JPG

P1070250.JPG

P1070251.JPG

P1070252.JPG

I also did the plinth in a wood scheme, the lighting wasn't really optimal for this but should give you a good idea of what it looks like. It really doesn't show up that well except from the sides, which is a bit of a shame as it is rather nice.

P1070253.JPG

P1070254.JPG

I'll let this all dry overnight and give it the once over with fresh eyes and get some boudoir shots taken.

Kimmo
    Nap likes this.
  11. Kimmo A Fixture

Managed to get some boudoir shots take today. With so many options on the camera, I had to play around a bit to find what I was looking for. I'm quite fascinated by how the image changes with the different combinations of ISO and aperture settings, and then any post edits done with GIMP. More stuff to learn...

A teaser and gallery link:

1.JPG

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/creepytables-dryad.294156/

Thanks to all who followed along and commented.

Kimmo
    Nap and Old Pete like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Great to see this completed and I see one really happy customer

Thanks for SBS and the gallery link

Look forward to your next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  13. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap! Yes, the customer is quite happy and now will have to wait for the postal system to do its thing.

Kimmo