1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Drummer Boy 57th Regt of Foot 1811

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike Stevens, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Mike, I used a standard 5 Power Opti-visor.
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    So the base is pretty much complete. I typically like to paint the hard stuff first , for me that is detailed things and bases. Once I get to the figure I usually move fast. When I paint its like a process. Always the same.

I may check the spares boxes and add a French or English Shako and rifle to the base to add some depth. Any thoughts on that idea?

I used Fredickus Rex for the grass.

Mike

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and Viking Bob like this.
  3. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    On to the face.

As I said I'm a creature of habit. I start with the eyes. I paint the white of the ball using the skin tone and white. Next I paint the eye with Dark Prussian Blue and Andrea Blue. I outline the top of the eye lid with a mixture of Cavalry Brown and Black. I underline the lower lid with Chocolate Brown skin tone. I've attached the range of colors that I'm using for this painting. It's softer than normal because I'm painting a boy.

As you can see in the picture of my hand I try to get the skin tone color close to my own flesh tone. An old trick taught to me by Fig Daddy in Tulsa.

The last series of pictures illustrate the base coat for the skin tone. I usually paint three to four coats of base. As you can see the painting process goes pretty quick now. I will normally take about a 100 pictures per fig during the painting process. This helps me identify areas that I've missed as well help with transitions in color.

Hope this helps.

Questions and comments are encouraged!

We will see if I can get the face and headgear completed today!

Cheers

Attached Files:

Joe55, bricks tattoo, JGREEN and 2 others like this.
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Very interesting mix Mike, thanks for sharing.
    Regards
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I love this sbs, keep it up Mike :)
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  6. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Hey, nice watch! :)
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  7. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I'm glad you like it. Will do.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  8. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, I noticed you didn't say anything about the painting!:notworthy: See you soon bro! Stay safe and be careful!
    MarquisMini likes this.
  9. John Howard Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on modelling the MMM set based on the painting 'Steady the Fifes and Drums' and this is very helpful info.
    Cheers
    John
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  10. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Keep em coming Mike. Look forward to seeing this progress and nice work so far.
    Scott
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  11. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Guys, a quick update on the face. I'm back to work this week so I haven't had much time. I should be able to get a couple of hours in this evening.

I have added two photos with the close up of the face. The 1st is my original with comments on it illustrating the base coat and 1st and 2nd highlights as well as what the eyes looked liked and what needed to be done to get them up to my standards. The second picture shows some progress including the eyes being trimmed up and a few more highlights added. There are some very basic shadows/low lights added. As you can see the face is starting to get some definition. I'll see what I can get done this evening and post the next series of pictures.

Still a lot of work left to do on the face. I'm only about 1/3 of the way completed. I need to finish the highlights and then start the shadows, lips and hair!

All comments and questions encouraged.

Mike

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mike,

Great work on this figure. The drum looks amazing given the small scale. The terrain is great too!!!
    The face seems very good too.

Hope to see this finished soon

Regards
    Pedro
  13. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I have a question for the British Military Experts. I have found a reference for the Drummer's lace for the 57th Foot (see attached). The only problem is that the reference is from uniforms dated about 1780's. Would this lace have remained the same as pictured below some 31 years later in 1811? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Attached Files:

14. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Some progress on the face from last evening. I have some more work left on the face bringing it all together and adding final touches. I should be able to start the bearskin cap this evening and have a super solid update tomorrow.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. John Howard Member

Hi Mike

There's this http://www.najecki.com/repro/LaceBook/LaceBook.html but the date is 1768, 12 or so years earlier than your example.

I also found this http://www.bagpipers.eu/british-nap...(or-the-west-middlesex)-regiment-of-foot.-246 which shows that lace on a repro drummer's jacket of circa 1810 according to the website.

Also the painting 'Steady the Drums and Fifes', seems to show the lace as illustrated above. So to answer your question, I think yes the lace remained essentially the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John
    ChaosCossack and Mike Stevens like this.
  16. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Awesome reference! I'll add all of those to my list of favorites!

Thanks,

Mike
  17. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Update on the face. Almost done now. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's now framed in, too get a feel for the contrast. Pictures attached. These close up's are scary!

I'll complete the Bearskin this evening and reverse the colors on the plume. It appears the Plume should be white on the top and red on the lower 2/3 of the Plume.

I'm hoping to get some serious time at the bench this weekend and would like to be close to done by Sunday.

Regards,

Mike

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack, NickM and pmfs like this.
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Mike.
    Drummers lace for this period and Regiment would be 1,1/8 inches thick, with White, Black & Red darts with the pattern repeated every 1,1/2 inches.

Hope that helps. will look to see if I can find any pics for you.
    Mick
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  19. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Mike,

I Know this is a bit later ie 1830. and a drummer of the 1st Foot guards But it shows how the pattern described above runs. If I can find anything better will post.
    Mick

[IMG]
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  20. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mike!

Lovely work so far Mike.
    This one when finished will be a stunner.

Cheers,
    Pedro.