1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Drilling metal figures

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Tonton, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Dremel makes variable-speed models, too. Is yours a single-speed model? Mine is. It's just not worth it to me to replace it for a variable-speed model, because pretty much every task I have where I might apply a rotary tool, I can do by hand with unpowered tools.

Prost!
    Brad
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I've just ordered a proxxon drill and variable speed transformer this afternoon from squires in bognor.
    My Dremel is unmanageable l am hoping that l can make more use of the new purchase. I find that arthritis makes using a pin vice uncomfortable these days as l am increasing turning back to metal kits.
    Nap likes this.
  4. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Yes it is Brad. It is a great tool but too fast when it comes to drilling metal figures for pinning. The Proxxon is far better, and quick. For the cost of less than a good 120mm figure it was worth it.
    Cheers
    Chris
  5. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Nap likes this.
  6. Steve Edwards Active Member

I use a variable-speed Dremel with cutting oil to drill white metal. Drill on a low speed and it works a treat.

My secret weapon is a big lump of blue tac to steady the part being drilled.
    Banjer likes this.
  7. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Thanks Steve. I have now tried a variable speed Dremel. It is faster (10,ooo rpm lowest) than the Proxxon (3000 rpm lowest) Still prefer the Proxxon for drilling white metal, although both work well.
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    As a result of this thread I bought a Proxxon and find it much easier to control and use than the variable Dremel which is much larger and harder to control. I do use Dremel drills which work well for White metal and resin.

Keith