1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Drill Sergeant scale 1/9

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by offo, Apr 20, 2016.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Just wait until kev gets his mits on those medals, he will think all his Birthdays have come at once.
    Might even add a CDM just for good measure
    Mick
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What a great subject! I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. Offo - you've totally outdone yourself with the likeness!

I agree with all the critique. Getting the cover with exactly the right tilt and a smidge above the eyebrows sells the whole thing!

All the best,
    Dan
    peedee and offo like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Ooooh you are a one ...CDM ...Cadburys Dairy Milk?

Lots of ribbons there and those rifle and pistol badges

Happy days

Nap
    offo and mick3272 like this.
  4. offo A Fixture

New photos. Hat is independent and can be extracted from the head. In order to do better were cast, and also that you painted it better. He is perched vicej to head to the edge of the eyebrow. Lýmce jackets are also repaired. A hat height is changing too. I think it's this good.
    Palo .

Attached Files:

• 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      110.7 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      116.2 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      121.7 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      114.1 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
    • 29.jpg
      29.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
    pokrad, napoleonpeart and Scotty like this.
  5. MasterGunns New Member

United-States
    Great start on a character close to my heart. Honorary GySgt R. Lee Ermey has become an iconic representative of my generation of Marines. Your sculpt is for the most part spot on, however there are a few more tweeks that need to be made:

1 - This is the MOST important correction - the Marine Corps insignia on the right lapel needs to have the flukes on the anchor face inboard (to the right as you look at the figure) which would make them the opposite of the insignia on the left lapel. In other words, they should face inboard towards the button line on the blouse. Also they should be a little smaller in size (enlisted lapel insignia are smaller than those worn by an officer which is what are displayed in the photo by JasonB above.

2 - There should be no gap between the ribbons (refer to JasonB's photo and the one you reference in your photo grouping).

3 - This may be a little difficult to depict, but the buttons should not be smooth, there is very visible detail that needs to be shown.

4 - And lastly - too much hair. A Senior Drill Instructor (and all other Drill Instructors) would not have any more hair showing than a 5 o'clock shadow. I'm sure Steve Ettinger would be able to verify that.

Having spent 30 years of my life as a Marine, and a collector of figures depicting Marines, I look forward to seeing the finished product. And I'm sure that R. Lee Ermey would get a kick out of seeing his character of GySgt Hartman immortalized in miniature.

Semper Fi - MasterGunns
    Babelfish, tomifune and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. offo A Fixture

Thank you, that insignia , I have not noticed. I've fixed it.:)
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Offo ,

Are you going to include the full arm rank insignia ?

Love this and all the information you are being given

Nap
  8. offo A Fixture

No, bust is so complete and so will fit into the series V busts at MMM.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Private Pile must be quaking in his boots!
    Great work Pavol.
    Gordon
    napoleonpeart and offo like this.
  10. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Listen up maggots - Absolutely love it. Will get this one for sure. If you haven't seen it there is a youtube series "Lock N Load" with R. Lee Ermy, its great for a giggle.
    Grod likes this.