1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dremel tool: advice sought

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Huw63, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Huw63 A Fixture

Hello all,

A local shop has an offer on Dremel tools and parts. Now I find removing mould lines by hand a tad tiresome and thought that maybe could get one of these and make life easier. Of course I could also use them to cut things and drill things.

Who has experience of these tools and which bits, grinding stones etc do line commend if any?

Equally if you think I'm insane (for considering a Dremel) please tell me.

Offer ends this week so any fast advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Huw
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    I found my Dremel invaluable, but pick up a drill chuck for it instead of the original fitting
    Steve
    napoleonpeart, balder and Huw63 like this.
  3. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks Steve. Which attachments would you recommend for removing mould lines? If you use it for drilling do you use Dremel bits or just the drill chuck? Sorry for so many questions.

Cheers

Huw
  4. JonH Active Member

Hello Huw.
    I have a Draper (poor man's Dremel) which is great for removing mould lines and casting plugs etc. It has an integral drill chuck Currently using it to drill many many 0.8mm holes in brass for a 1/16 12-pounder cannon.I use the spherical and the pointy grinding attachments mostly for cleaning up resin parts. Came with lots of attachments as should the Dremel and if you can work out what they're all for let me know.
    Jon
    Huw63 likes this.
  5. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

If you're still into Whitemetal figs. the wire brushes are good for cleaning up before under coating,and can help Buffing up steel parts like any armour. I have the variable speed version,and can recomend it. Ray
    Huw63 likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Think Jon and Ray about covered it, I also use the cutting discs for the brass rod I use for mounting busts
    Steve
    Huw63 likes this.
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

Thank you all for your advice on the subject. So I will go out and try to get one this morning as the whole set is greatly reduced in price.

Cheers

Huw
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Thank you gentlemen. I picked up a Dremel 4000 45 set, extra chuck, drill bits for metal and a polishing set. Now I just need a chance to properly try it out - Easter is coming...
    peedee and JonH like this.
  9. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Dental Burrs are an essential for removing seams etc on white metal figures with a Dremel. (Or any other power tool)You need to keep your hand very steady though as a slip can damage the figure but the time saved is considerable. When using brass or steel brushes don't overdo the polishing as you can obscure or remove detail.
    Huw63 and peedee like this.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't forget to pick up some micro drills at the next show
    as well Huw
    Huw63 likes this.
  11. Mark S Guest

Huw, I'm in love with my Dremel, I'm only sorry it doesn't come with the kind of 'intimate' attachments with which one could consummate such feelings.
    But it is an essential part of my kit
    I use the sanding bands and cutting wheels most often....they are definitely essential attachments.|

dremel sanding.jpg

I would also recommend a flexible drill shaft extension like this one is well worth the cost.....

dremel.jpg

Makes handling fine detail work much easier.
    I would also buy some attachments from another company called Hobby Elements.
    The Hobby Elements Molding Flash Sander Kit is brilliant not only for sanding molding seams but detailed carving and sculpting as well.
    Highly Recommended......there is a video of the kit somewhere in the archives of PF.

hobby elements flash sander.jpg

These attachments which will fit your Dremel are very affordable and very effective.

BUT always remember.!!!..........

Dremel-Poster.jpg
    Huw63 likes this.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for the advice Claude I will look to getting some.

Cheers

Huw
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks Paul. The set I have so far has a smallest bit of 0.8mm. Now I need 0.5 and 0.4. Then I can really pretend that to know what I'm doing!!!!

Cheers

Huw
  14. Huw63 A Fixture

Hello Mark.

Thanks for all the advice which is much appreciated. I was very very lucky to get the sanding bands and the drill shaft extension (I nearly typed shaft extension and knowing the mob in here what a response that would have got) as part of a package but I didn't know about the Hobby Elements set so I'll do some research on those as they look interesting.

Thanks too for the timely reminder about not drinking and using power tools. I'm often clumsy so fully anticipate a few scars let alone doing this unused the influence!!

Cheers

Huw
    Mark S likes this.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Huw another small tip off for you, (If you are'nt careful),

Martyn of MDP has a nifty range of drill and pinning kits.

Each pack contains a few lengths of brass rod plus the relevent drill bits, they are also a great price.

Paul.
    Huw63 likes this.
  16. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks Paul another great suggestion - those kits do seem to be worth considering.
    peedee likes this.
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've bought a few off Martyn over time Huw.
    I found that wether you are actually needing the brass rod,
    or the drills, you end up getting the other part more or less
    free at his prices !

Paul.
  18. Huw63 A Fixture

As it's a Cardiff company next time I'm in Wales I will call by :)
    peedee likes this.