1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dragonslayer Update

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Nov 15, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello All,

Still no digicam :( so it's another scan.
    Just thought I'd show you my progress to date. The arms & head are still seperate (as are the Dragon's horns) still a lot of carving to do on that!
    Also made some progress on the sword - blade completed (thanks to Richards suggestion! - worked a treat!) having trouble with the hilt as my first method proved rubbish :angry: Also started on a shield + scabbard

I'm a bit worried that the Dragon might "overpower" the final piece - what do you think? too big?

Scary bit's coming up - clothing :(

Simon
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Simon

Bloody Marvelous! He's coming on well!

The Dragon's head looks excellent.
    At this early stage, the body looks pretty good, and reasonably well proportioned, taking into account the lack of clothing at this stage.

He's really shaping up well. keep it coming!

all the best

Rob
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Chap

The arms are on the agenda today, as is some serious filing on his backside (To quote Tom Baker in Blackadder - "You have a Woman's bottom!")

Simon
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Left arm leaning on the sword, I presume? That will be a beast! Guess it needs to be when you're a dragonslayer!

Looks like you're enjoying it!

Rob
  5. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yep!!!
    But in scale, the same size as a Scottish Claymore. I looked around at a few websites selling re-enactors swords to get measurements and in 1/20th or 90mm approx. they worked out at around 60mm long! trying to get the hilt to look "in scale" is proving difficult, the first attempt ended up with the stone between the two dragons (original sketch) being almost as big as his whole face! :lol: not very realistic!!!!!!!!

And as for enjoying it, You betcha!! I've already got plans for the next one! (or two....or three........ )
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Good Morning Simon,

You are doing a terrific job and I have enjoyed seeing him develop to this point. I agree with the statement on proportion and it looks good. Dragon looks perfect.

Keep up the great work (y)

Guy
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, He's coming along. The dragon's head looks great. The hilt should not be to hard. Let me think of a way to do it and I'll post something that might help.~Gary
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking good Simon! (y) I agree w/ Rob, it looks your having a blast doing this project.
    It's also motivating for me to keep "playing". Thanks! :)

Jason
  9. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    cool!
    I started off with the idea of starting with a "sausage" of milliput, left to set on the "scale" drawing I've done, then building up from the centre, didn't work out very well though <_< My next thought was to carve it from a solid boomerang shape or just build one side of one dragon + the centre stone, then make a "squash" cast of that & try to create three more copies and carve,sand and generally manipulate til I could put them all together

I decided early on that the best way to tackle the sword was to construct it in a similar way to a real one,(blade with a "tang" on top, slide the hilt onto that then the handle & pommel stone) still think that's the best way to go as it will result in a stronger finished piece

Here's a scan of the blade so far (can't see from it, but the edges are all pared down) the wire is just there to hold it for scanning btw!
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, I have to figure something else out. I'm limited to a file size of 50k for the drawing, which is needless to say too small.Think think. ;) ~Gary
  11. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary,
    If the pics not over 1mb you could email it to me?
    I just know it'll be the answer to my prayers! (y)

simon.crockford1(nospam)@btopenworld.com - remove (nospam)

Cheers

Simon
  12. yancy Member

United-States
    Simon-

Love the idea and the figure rocks!

What type of clothing will he wear? Will he have a cape. What did you model this after and what was you inspiration?

This is a bit off subject, but have you seen the Frazetta toys that they sell at Toys R' Us? You can also get them at comic book shops. Anywho, they have reproduced famous pieces of Frank's work in 3 diminsion. Very cool! (y)

Can't wait to see this one finished.

Yancy
  13. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yancy,
    if you look at another thread on here called "New project, New beginnings" you'll see my initial sketch that started the whole thing! (in fact all my posts in this section since then have had something to do with this project)

Not seen the Frazetta stuff, i'll keep an eye out

Simon
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, The e-mail was kicked backed to me that I tried to send. E-mail me.

dombtwins2@msn.com
  15. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary, It's a shame you couldn't post that pic mate! It's brilliant!
    You really should consider publishing a "How-to" you know!

Thanks again for getting me back on track!!!!!!! (y) (y)

Simon
  16. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon,

I have to echo what everyone else has already said....very good looking and the dragons head is spot on! I also agree with you on Gary ;) This man has been such a great help and inspiration. He has got a ton of knowledge and is always willing to share. Thanks Gary and I look forward to seeing what you do with the figure Simon.

Joe
  17. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
    I know I would never have got this far without it!
    Cheers
    Simon
    (though I'm not sure my wife will thank you when she see the gas bill! lots of baking milliput :eek: )
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Simon,

It would be hard not to encourage someone who does such beautiful work.....out of my league.....keep up the great work....love it

guy (y)
  19. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Aww.... you've gone & made me blush now Guy!!!

I'd hardly say beautiful, but, with all the help & encouragement I've received from everyone since I first started on this, I've found it a lot less intimidating a task than I'd ever thought. I can say that I'm now hooked on sculpting & I've already started planning my next project!

Cheers

Simon
  20. Richard E New Member

Hi Simon

He is looking great at the mo, am going to be interested to see what you do with the clothing. I've got to confess though, right now he reminds me of Lemmy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep us posted.

Richard