1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dragon de Cuera

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Mar 21, 2009.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    This is a mounted piece I was involved with lately. Nice figure when you get close to it.The coat of arms on the shield is about 1 1/2 inches high. Thanks for looking

Stephen Mallia

Attached Files:

2. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Wonderful painting Stephen, I especially like the horse! The texture and dappling on him has been expertly rendered. Bravo.
  3. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Really nice owrk on a miniature i also have waiting to be painted
    Bravo

Costas
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done Stephen! The dapple on the horse is particularly nice!

Jay H.
    Okc
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    WoW where did this come from mate? Wonderful job as always and that dapple just rocks!!

I'm sure that even these much improved pics are hiding a huge portion of potential of your painting so would have to post back after viewing it this Wed :eek: :D

Ray ;)
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good painting Stephen. I think it was not an easy figure to paint.

Marc
  7. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice painting Stephen, particularly the dapple on the horse, very nice!

Not so sure about the sculpting though. Is he in the act of throwing the musket away? he certainly wouldn't be able to retain a grip on the neck of the musket with his fingers in that position.

Both the shield and the hat brim look a little thick. Sorry to be negative in this way, but the painting is top notch!

Cheers,
    Jon.
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good Stephen,I like the horse colors!
    chris
  9. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello Stephen,

wow, amazing, i like your painting and that dapple is particularly nice! !!

Greetings

Karsten
  10. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I echo everyone else's sentiments, a fantastic figure in all regards.
  11. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Lovely

Hi Stephen

The delicate detail paintings admirable. This piece by painted by Diego and you both masterfully done

Allan
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful painting Stephen. The dapple is awesome on the horse.
  13. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    Very good painting Stephen.
    M.
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks guys very appreciated.

Ray, hopefully you'll get a better view on Wednesday.

Jonathan, I didn't sculpt the figure. I left it the way the sculptor intended and respected his wishes :):):)

Stephen
  15. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Slaj, you did a very good job with this figure, specially that horse!

Well, as I was (years ago) one of the sculptors -the horse is from my friend Andrea Iotti- and the researcher of the subject would clarify some things.
    The weapon in his hand is not a musquet, it is actually an "escopeta". Lighter than a musquet and with a special grip to handle it in that way. The equipment is that ordered in 1767 (I think).
    These soldiers rode and fought in the "Provincias Internas": North of nowadays Mexico and South of USA (California, Texas, Colorado, Arizona..) protecting the haciendas an Missions from hostile Indians.
    One of the tactics of fight was to menace the indians with the fire weapon. They knew that when its only round was fired there will be no opportunity to reload before the enemy close against them.
    I would recommend -in english language- some very good articles by René Chartrand about these fascinating period of brave cowboys long before Mr. Colt was born ;D.
    The brim of the hat seems a bit thick for me too, but it is obligued by the casting of the metal. The shield (adarga) is about right as it was made of some layers of thick leather, as it was the coat of the rider. This is why they were called "soldados de Cuera" (leather soldiers) although they were "presidiales.
  16. Aterz Active Member

Italy
    WOW!
    great work my friend...as always!

All my best regards
    Andrea
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen,
    Wonderful job and great horse. Super heraldry.

Diego, Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

Cheers
    John
  18. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Diego, thank you for the interesting info.At least it clears some of the doubts that may have been created.It was great fun to paint.

Andrea,ciao. Grazie

John ,thanks

Stephen
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Stephen,

Another superb creation mate. Beautifully painted. As other have remarked, the dapple on the horse is outstanding.
  20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Tony, thanks. Very appreciated

Stephen