1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dragon bust - finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I've managed to finish the United Empire Miniatures bust of "Drago", the dragon from the movie "Dragonheart".
    I had some difficulties painting the eyes but I think I figured out a way that I'm happy with.
    I'd appreciate hearing what you all think of it.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

He's got the looks, he's got the looks, of very very pleasant and in the maintime a monster that can burn you down.

Congratulations, you did a very very nice paintjob on this dragon.
    I specially love the eyes. ;)

marc
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    WOW craig!!...I reckon the eyes have turned out really great..
    He looks just right..you made a good choice. (y)

All the best.

Roy.
  4. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Hi Craig,

The whole bust looks just fantastic! Very realistic. Very dragon.

So, tell us, what DID you do for the eyes?

In fact, how did you do the body?

BTW, I contacted UEM, and this piece is temporarily out of production. The mold is is being re-tooled. They are supposed to contact me when this figure is back in production again.

Happy Painting.
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for posting here. I appreciate the nice things you've had to say about the dragon.
    PJ,
    I must have painted and stripped the eyes 8 or 9 times before I got what you're seeing here. I tried 2 different acrylic colors from Citadel Paints that looked good at first but didn't give me the results I wanted. I ended up stripping them down to the bare resin, which was a nice creamy yellow color. Then I painted them with a couple of coats of Tamiya clear yellow paint. That did the trick. After drying I sealed them with clear nail polish and painted the pupils with Mars Black oil paint.

For the body, I air brushed the bulk of it with Citadel Desert Yellow. Then I did the scaly areas on the neck and around the horns with an earth brown form Citadel. Using the same brown, I also AB'ed all the shadow areas, deep in the eye sockets, the top of the nose and a very light irregular pattern on the neck. After this was dry, I took Burnt Umber oil paint and coated the entire piece with it, making sure to work it into all the deep recesses. I let it soak in for 10 minutes or so and then wiped it off. This leaves it in the recesses and seems to give a mild stain to the acrylic paint. While still wet, I began brushing on increasingly lighter shades of yellow oil paints with a wide soft brush. I started with Mars Yellow, then Yellow Ochre and finally Naples Yellow.
    I did pretty much the same thing on the horns but I added in Buff Titanium and Titanium White at the tips and streaked these back towards the base of the horns. I was going for a transition of color from the base to the tip.
    Good luck when you get yours. I bet you'll like it as much as I liked paint mine.
    Make sure to let be know when you get started on yours, okay?
    Thanks again guys,
    Craig
  6. johnnyboy New Member

craig thats so awesome man i love it.shoe some more views man.well take care man talk to you soon johnny
  7. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the explanation of what you did, Craig. Very interesting. I never would have thought of clear yellow, but it' s truly stunning and very realistic. I'm always amused to find that the simpler techniques often seem to work the best and seem the most realistic.

I"ll be trying these ideas out on mine soon, if I can score the bust at MFCA.

Great job on this piece. Thanks for sharing it with us!
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Nice job on the dragon, i like his eyes.~Gary