1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dracula Bust

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Mongo Mel, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Greetings all,
    In another thread here, the subject of the old man Dracula bust came up so I thought I'd post a picture of my version of this piece.

[IMG]

I think it's a great likeness of Gary Oldman for the Francis Ford Coppola movie.
    I wanted to try to get the pale white skin as seen in the movie but didn't have any success doing that. Instead, I went with a pale version of the fleshtone mix I use. I'm very happy with the results.
    And this is the first decent looking set of eyes I've done.
    As always, comments and constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  2. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    ooooooh, purple! - another of my "bogey" colours! (<- that doesn't mean I have purple bo......... Oh never mind! )
    Very nicely done here though!
    The skin-tone looks good to me & yes, like them eyes! He doesn't look very well does he?!

(y) (y)
    Simon
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice. I do like what you've done with the purple. The eyes do look very good, keep it up.~Gary
  4. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Love it, although I wouldn't wnat to meethim at night

Is this painted in oils or acrylics? If done in oils you can try to glaze with Flake White to get that pale looking skin colour you mentioned. Just an idea though as I find him perfect as he is.

Greetz,

gino.
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    I'm glad you like the purple too. According to the movie, the robe was supposed to be red. I tried it but didn't like it so...
    Gino, I paint everything in oils. It's what i learned to paint with first and I love the wet-on wet blending they allow. I had thought of dusting the face with white pastels but the white flake oil paint could work just as well. Who knows, I might still give it a try :)
    Thanks,
    Craig
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,

I like what you have done with the purple but I really like the look around the eyes. It looks like you have brought life to the figure. Keep up the good work.

Joe
  7. yancy Member

United-States
    Craig-

Awesome job. Is the bust the one that John Lea offers? If it is, have you seen the other busts in the series? They are fantastic.

For those who are interested, John also offers a dragon bust with a "VERY" close likeness to the DragonHeart beast.

Heres the pic.

Yancy
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Yancy for posting that pic......Now I like this one and it's pose..

Guy
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Yancy,
    Yeah, it's his .
    Funny you mention that dragon bust. I also have it and it's spectacular. A really beautifully sculpted piece. I recently recorded Dragonheart just to have it as a reference for when I paint this piece.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  10. yancy Member

United-States
    Craig-

Speaking of reference. I recently began to use my DVD collection in concert with a DVD player to grab stills. Afterwards, I print the pics and use them at the work bench. I have found that printing them on plain ole' paper allows me to spill paint or crumple them without any heartache.

It really comes in handy for pics you don't get anywhere else. Also, I have found that some DVDs have other angles on them, so you can get a better look at the subject. I found this very useful in constructing my D-Day dio. I utilized the "Saving Private Ryan" set and grab all kinds of stuff. (y)

Yancy
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    neat idea Yancy (y)

Guy