1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

dracula bust with timelapse wip

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Dec 19, 2008.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    hi all!

this is a gift for a good friend and its for new year so a rush job but plenty do-able....

it's the old horizon kit chopped down to a bust and filled.

various saga's have led to starting it a bit late but hey! whats a bit of stress eh?

so i rigged up a web cam over my work bench and did a close up time lapse... first bit is a frame every 5 seconds but i soon switched to a frame every 2 seconds so one second of film is one minute of actual painting....

thought it might be cool for non acrylic painters to see how the glazing method looks early on ( dreadfull )...

:)

anyway enough prattle

here is the link... it worked :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me_Z189IkAc

and a still....

[IMG]
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Dracula

Gothigeek,
    This is one hell of a lucky friend getting this , its fantastic painting even at this stage , I presumehe is going to have red armour, this will look great finished ..what scale is this ?
    Great idea the timelapse link as well look forward to seeing more of this , can you let us know how you mixed your flesh colours , the eyes look really haunting as well .

Nap
  3. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    cheers nap!

it's 1/6th scale and yes the armour is bright red....

the timelapse is just something i wanted to try for a while and as the figure is going off to my mate i thought it was a good way to get something to keep of the project

the flesh is done with citadel acrylic

darkflesh
    dwarfflesh
    elfflesh

thanks for the comment

mark
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    top job on the figure Mark,i love the eyes.
    Good idea with the timelapse video,i thought for a while this is how fast you painted for real with how many figures you got on the go LOL.

Steve Readdie (1969)
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Loved the time lapse Mark, great result.
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    thanks guys....

try doin some timelapse, its bizzare to watch yourself working like that, hypnotic!

will get a good session in tommorow so hope to get the face finished and a ways on with the hair! the hair!!!

mark
  7. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    best laid plans eh?

only got a couple of hours in today but almost happy with the skin tones and beard almost right, a little more lining over it and some thin washes should see it done :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. tissibzh Active Member

France
    hi mark,
    the face remind me an US actor isn't it??
  9. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well its meant to look like gary oldman who played the role in coppolas 1992 dracula...

its a bit like him but i was hoping for more of a likeness

lol
  10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  11. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Your painting is superb, Mark. The time lapse video is a brilliant storke. I just wish I could slow it down a little. Thanks for clearing out the cobwebs with this very creative post.
  12. tissibzh Active Member

France
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    i was suprised how fast the initial stages were but i think when its all done i may re edit it and slow down some parts... face and speed up the more boring bits ( beard and hair ) and thanks

yes he does look like him!

hair today.......

[IMG]
  14. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    some progress.....

on the back of this i popped two old vinyl figures into some oven cleaner....

horizon catwoman, fantastic sculpt, dreadfull pose :(, gonna make her into a halfish figure :)

screamin 1/4 pinhead, just gonna make a bust out of that!

mark

[IMG]
  15. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well,

bar a bit of fine tuning the paint on this bust is done! a personal best on time, i started this on the 17th dec so 12 days from undercoat to this! PHEW!

sorting the base now ( a dragon 1/16th figure base, a lump of 2x2 pine and a plasti-card plaque for the date ( 1462 )) textured with magic-sculp with a piece of 2mm welding rod wrapped in paper ( with superglue to harden it ) ......

almost there and 2 days to go!

a tech q.....

will i be ok putting acrylic varnish over this paintjob after 2 days ?

thanks for looking

mark

[IMG]
  16. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    one day left..... EEEEK!

[IMG]
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great looking bust Mark!

Marcel.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Dracula

Mark ,
    Great bust , love the armour and the way you have presented it on the base ..nice touch ..thats one very lucky friend !!!!!
    Great idea on the timelapse ...new trend perhaps ..except I work slow !!!!!!

Nap
  19. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    thanks guys!

i'm gonna get a better camera for the next sequence i do!

well this is finished and finally delivered it a couple days ago ( everyone inluding me has been ill! ), the victim, sorry recipient loved it ;)

Phew!

thanks for following and i'm working on a slightly better version of the complete timelapse

mark

[IMG]
  20. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Mark,
    For me, Dracula will always be Christopher Lee (with flashbacks to Bela Lugosi), but you have done one hell of a job painting this and I love the time lapse photography:)
    ( I can't even cope with a still camera)
    Best wishes, Gary.